Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Niel Markwick <ni...@google.com> on 2020/04/26 17:24:28 UTC

How to submit PRs for dependant changes?

Hey Beam devs...

I have 4 changes to submit as PRs to fix 4 independent issues in the
io.gcp.SpannerIO class.

The PRs are notionally independent, but will cause merge conflicts if
submitted separately, as the fix for each issue will change code related to
the fix for some of the others.

How do you prefer the PRs to be submitted?

a) one single PR with 4 sequential commits within it
b) one single PR with all changes squashed.
c) 4 separate conflicting PRs which will have to be merged separately, and
a merge conflict resolution after each one.

a) is how it is in my repo.
b) would be easy, but less clear what the changes were for.
c) I guess would be clearest in the Beam changelog.

If the answer is a) or b), how would I specify multiple JIRA tickets in the
PR title?

Thanks!

--
<https://cloud.google.com>
* •  **Niel Markwick*

Google Belgium NV/SA, Steenweg op Etterbeek 180, 1040 Brussel, Belgie.
RPR: 0878.065.378

If you have received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it
to anyone else (it may contain confidential or privileged information),
please erase all copies of it, including all attachments, and please let
the sender know it went to the wrong person. Thanks

Re: How to submit PRs for dependant changes?

Posted by Ankur Goenka <go...@google.com>.
I would prefer c.
I suppose you already have 4 separate changes in 4 separate local branches,
Each of a,b and c will require merging locally. So there shouldn't be much
of a difference in effort in these 3 options.
c would be easiest to review and will preserve information in the most
meaningful way.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Udi Meiri <eh...@google.com>.

Posted by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com>.