Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/06 23:14:23 UTC

Writing to and Reading from Metadata Pages

Glorious dev,

Recently, we changed the way we write to and read from Metadata pages.
Previously, we had specific methods to write fixed sized specific information to metadata pages. For example:

public void setLSN(long lsn);
public long getLSN();
public void setLSMComponentFilterPageId(int filterPage);
public int getLSMComponentFilterPageId();

And we used a separate metadata page to write Filter tuples. This worked to get us started but it is not good enough on the long run since we will need to add methods/pages for each different types of data we want to write to the metadata pages. we felt it is time we improve it and we changed
the interface to use:

/**
* set the value with the key = key
* @param key
* @param value
* @throws HyracksDataException
*/
void put(IValueReference key, IValueReference value) throws HyracksDataException;

/**
* get the value with the key = key
* @param key
* @param value
*/
void get(IValueReference key, IPointable value);

Please, make use of the new way going forward.
Thanks,
Abdullah.