Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by himanshu chandola <hi...@yahoo.com> on 2010/02/12 22:42:23 UTC

heterogeneous cluster with some nodes with low disk space

Hi people,
I've a cluster where around 40% of nodes are low on disk space. The output after the maps is too big for the mapred.local.dir in the nodes low on disk space and with hadoop it happens a lot that it tries to flush the output to these nodes, fails, tries  on some other node until it finally flushes the data into one of the nodes with large disk space.

So my question is whether its possible for hadoop to select or for us to be able to notify hadoop of the nodes which have larger disk space so that it doesn't waste time on nodes with low disk space.

Many thanks

Re: heterogeneous cluster with some nodes with low disk space

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.

On 2/12/10 1:42 PM, "himanshu chandola" <hi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So my question is whether its possible for hadoop to select or for us to be
> able to notify hadoop of the nodes which have larger disk space so that it
> doesn't waste time on nodes with low disk space.

The only way I know of is for you to build a custom scheduler that takes
space into consideration.

Another possiblity is to have two job trackers, one with the big nodes, the
other with the small nodes.  Then run jobs on the appropriate job trackers.