Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Marcin Kuthan <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/28 16:39:20 UTC

Site plugin - broken links between modules only on site stage

Hi

My multi module project is structured with separate aggregate pom and
parent pom (aggregate pom is not a parent pom).
All modules are aggregated by aggragate pom (parent pom is also
submodule of aggregate pom). All submodules inherit from parent pom.

Aggregate pom:
http://code.google.com/p/m4enterprise/source/browse/trunk/modular-war/pom.xml

Parent pom:
http://code.google.com/p/m4enterprise/source/browse/trunk/modular-war/modular-war-parent/pom.xml

And other submodules:
http://code.google.com/p/m4enterprise/source/browse/trunk/modular-war/modular-war-core/pom.xml
http://code.google.com/p/m4enterprise/source/browse/trunk/modular-war/modular-war-webapp/pom.xml

For all modules <url> are defined to reflect project structure. When
the site is deployed (mvn site-deploy) links between modules are
valid, but for site stage (mvn site:stage or mvn site:stage-deploy)
are broken.

It looks that relative links point one directory level too high. In
the index page of aggregate pom the link to the parent module looks
like:
../../../../../my-site-url-from-dist-management-section/modular-war-parent/index.html

If I change it to (remove one directory level):
../../../../my-site-url-from-dist-management-section/modular-war-parent/index.html
link is valid.

Links to modular-war-parent from modular-war-core and
modular-war-webapp are valid, e.g: "../index.html", only links from
aggregate pom to submodules are broken.

I tried to remove trailing slashes from <url> element but it didn't
help, the links were unchanged.

Do you have an idea where is a mistake in my configuration? And why
links are broken only for site stage, when for regular site deployment
are valid?

Thanks,
Marcin

Re: Site plugin - broken links between modules only on site stage

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Marcin Kuthan wrote:
> Hi Lukas
>
> Sorry for inconvenience with my example. I extracted self-contained
> test project:
> http://m4enterprise.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/test2/
>
> The example is prepared to use m-site-p version 2.3-SNAPSHOT. You can
> customize plugin version with com.acme.maven.corporate-pom.siteVersion
> property.
>
> I didn't specify staging location because for the default location
> "target/staging" on aggregate project level the results are the same.
>
> Please execute the following commands on the aggregate pom level (top level):
> mvn clean
> mvn site:site
> mvn site:stage -DsiteUrl='scp://myhost/var/www'
>
> Stage is generated into "target/staging/myhost/var/www/...." but links
> to submodules point to
> "../../../../localhost/var/www/modular-war-parent/....".
> Instead "localhost" "myhost" should be used as I specified in the
> command line property. "localhost" is defined as a default value in
> the pom and should be overwritten.

Yes, this is MSITE-135. When building the modules, the siteUrl from the
parent is used.

If you remove the siteUrl from your properties, then you get correct
links when using a cl parameter, however, if you don't specify a cl
parameter, you'll get a ${siteUrl} literal in your path. If it's just
for staging, this is probably good enough. For live deploy you might
want to avoid properties, or you could force to fail the build if a
property is not set.

HTH,
-Lukas

Posted by Marcin Kuthan <ma...@gmail.com>.