Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 2003/01/19 08:07:22 UTC

[jelly] Taglib split out - done?

Things to do AFAICT:

1) The splitting of taglibs from core is now complete.
2) The dependencies of all tags look ok.
3) New snapshots of Jelly and the taglibs up on ibiblio.
4) Regen some ant build.xml and some gump descriptors.
5) Create web sites for all taglibs
6) Doco for all taglibs
7) Fix either the reactor in Maven, or remove the commonDependencies.ent

Volunteers?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: [Jelly] BCEL Taglibrary Beginnings

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
+1. This looks great!

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 18:06, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> I started writting the beginnings of a BCEL taglibrary. Although it may
> be a bit different than others may anticipate.
>
> Basically I've built two tags and a supporting "BeanExtender" class to
> support them.
>
> <bcel:extends
>     baseClass="java.lang.Object"
>     packageName="org.foo"
>     className="Test">
>     <bcel:add-property name="bar" propertyType="int" write="false"/>
>     <bcel:add-property name="bam" propertyType="java.lang.String"/>
> </bcel:extends>
>
> Basically creates a new Class (org.foo.Test) that has:
>
> package org.foo;
>
> public Test extends java.lang.Object {
>
>    private int bar;
>    private String bam;
>
>    public Test(){}
>
>    public int getBar(){
>     return bar;
>     }
>
>    public String getBam(){
>     return bam;
>     }
>
>    public void setBam(String bam){
>     this.bam = bam;
>     }
> }
>
> It then "changes" the Security access on the ClassLoader "define"
> method. Allowing the class to be added into the current loader. Once the
> class is available it can then be instantiated by <useBean> or <new>.
>
> I'm sure there are some more "flexible" ways to design the Taglibrary, I
> consider this to be a "first blush" over the idea. I'd be glad to donate
> the code if others are interested in developing it too.

+1

I think that's nifty neato! What I'm really interested in is the Java
code backing the Jelly. I've always wanted to make a simple API for BCEL
for creating bytecode and it looks like you've got a awesome start to
one.

> -Mark Diggory

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

[Jelly] BCEL Taglibrary applied changes

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Thaks everyone for all the great ideas. I've applied many of the changes
suggested in the list. I've also moved the taglibrary into the
org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.bcel namespace for future inclusion into
the Jelly taglibraries CVS tree. First however, I want to expand upon
the Class Extender to attempt to apply some of the ideas that Jouzas
suggested in relation to BSF.

The new syntax is outlined in the attached model.xml file.
-Mark Diggory

Re: [Jelly] BCEL Taglibrary Beginnings

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
It would be nice to see, with all the work done to access and manipulate
the bytecode, a utility that then parses bytecode back into java would
be benificial. I'm sure that there are a number of opensource projects
already available outside of BCEL specificially for that purpose.

http://www.jsurfer.org/links.php?op=viewslink&sid=18
http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/java/decompiler-table.html
http://www.developer.com/java/article.php/779831
http://www.pdr.cx/projects/hbd/

It would be valuble to see such a libary actually independent of bcel,
in that you could apply it to any class in the ClassLoader, not just the
ones generated by BCEL.

Of course, with all the people out there that think of java bytecode as
"compiled binaries" and not "enterpreted source code", that may cause a
little hoopla, foolish are those who think compiling something somehow
secures its source. As a promoter of "Open Source" approaches, I'm not
sure of Apache's legal opinion on such a "proactive" means of exposing
the content of others "compiled bytecode" as I'm not affiliated beyond
being a user/experimenter/hopeful future developer.

-Mark

Posted by Robert McIntosh <ro...@bull-enterprises.com>.

Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> I started writting the beginnings of a BCEL taglibrary. Although it
> may be a bit different than others may anticipate.
>
> Basically I've built two tags and a supporting "BeanExtender" class to
> support them.
>
> <bcel:extends
>    baseClass="java.lang.Object"
>    packageName="org.foo"
>    className="Test">
>    <bcel:add-property name="bar" propertyType="int" write="false"/>
>    <bcel:add-property name="bam" propertyType="java.lang.String"/>
> </bcel:extends>
>
> Basically creates a new Class (org.foo.Test) that has:
>
> package org.foo;
>
> public Test extends java.lang.Object {
>
>   private int bar;
>   private String bam;
>
>   public Test(){}
>
>   public int getBar(){
>    return bar;
>    }
>
>   public String getBam(){
>    return bam;
>    }
>
>   public void setBam(String bam){
>    this.bam = bam;
>    }
> }
>
> It then "changes" the Security access on the ClassLoader "define"
> method. Allowing the class to be added into the current loader. Once
> the class is available it can then be instantiated by <useBean> or <new>.
>
> I'm sure there are some more "flexible" ways to design the Taglibrary,
> I consider this to be a "first blush" over the idea. I'd be glad to
> donate the code if others are interested in developing it too.
>
> -Mark Diggory

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: [Jelly] BCEL Taglibrary Beginnings

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Cool. We almost have a CodeDOM :)
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

"Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> wrote on 20/01/2003
10:06:03 AM:

Re: [jelly] Taglib split out - done?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi morgan

i think that i've managed to find a workaround for the commonDependencies.
ent problem.

in the jelly-tags/ant/project.xml replace:

<!DOCTYPE project [
   <!-- see file for description -->
   <!ENTITY commonDeps SYSTEM "file:../../commonDependencies.ent">
]>

with

<!DOCTYPE project [
   <!-- see file for description -->
   <!ENTITY commonDeps SYSTEM "../../commonDependencies.ent">
]>

i suspect that this is due to a bug in xerces (but i could very well be
mistaken).

the build won't complete when you make the change since it can't find
'../tag-project.xml'. i have an idea that this needs to fixed by changing
the reactor (but i could be mistaken).

- robert

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 06:55 PM, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

> --- robert burrell donkin
> <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 05:33 PM, Morgan
>> Delagrange wrote:
>>

>>> --- James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>

>> fails

>> working
>> it

>>> That's the apparent difference, although
>> Digester's
>>> invocation of the InputSource.setSystemId(String)
>>> method should have made this a non-issue.
>>
>> if you can tell me a simple way to reproduce the
>> problem, i'd be willing
>> to take a look and see if i can come up with
>> anything.
>>
>> - robert
>
> I don't have a simple test case for it.  If you go to
> jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly/jelly-tags/ant and run
> "maven java:compile", there is no problem.  However if
> you run "maven tags-build" from
> jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly, Maven will fail to open
> the commonsDependencies.ent file referenced in the ant
> build script.

thanks - i managed to reproduce the error.

i think that it's got to be some kind of directory problem. the
jelly/jelly-tags/ant/project.xml has two relative paths in:
../../commonDependencies.ent and ../tag-project.xml. when i copy these
files so that there are copies at ../../commonDependencies.ent and
../tag-project.xml relative to the jelly base directory, 'maven tags-build'
  gets much further.

not too sure how to fix the problem, though :)

- robert

Re: [jelly] Taglib split out - done?

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@apache.org>
> > On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, James Strachan
> <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Unless we figure out the magic version of xerces
> that works (I'm
> > > wondering if thats why it works under 1.4).
> >
> > JDK 1.4 ships with Crimson.
>
> DOH! Thanks Stefan. So maybe thats why it works -
> its using crimson not
> xerces :-)
>
> James

This probably explains the intermittent JAXP problems
some people (including me) get with JDK 1.4 and Maven.
 Anyway, in the interest of eating our own dogfood, we
should use a format that Xerces understands.

- Morgan

=====

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@apache.org>

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Unless we figure out the magic version of xerces that works (I'm
> wondering if thats why it works under 1.4).

JDK 1.4 ships with Crimson.

Stefan

Re: [jelly] Taglib split out - done?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Morgan Delagrange" <md...@yahoo.com>
> Neither can I, when I use jdk 1.3.1.  Sigh.  Well, the
> individual taglib builds are more important than the
> reactor build, so I guess we roll back to the original
> format, yes?

+1

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

=====

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: <di...@multitask.com.au>
> James,
>
> are you on 1.3.x or 1.4.x?

It fails for me on 1.3 (which I use most of the time) but works on 1.4

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [jelly] Taglib split out - done?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
James,

are you on 1.3.x or 1.4.x?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

"James Strachan" <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote on 22/01/2003 03:07:18
AM:

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
Well, this patch definitely gets us further along, but
I still get an error using the tags-build target:

  BUILD FAILED
  Provider org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl
not found
  Total time:  11 seconds

Since the ant tags build successfully, I would expect
the next error to involve expanding the entity in
another tag build.  Could be a problem in my
environment I suppose.

- Morgan

--- robert burrell donkin
<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> hi morgan
>
> attached is a patch which allows the ant tag to
> build. (you'll probably
> need to go through all the tags and change the other
> project.xml files in
> a similar way.)

x-unix-mode=0644; name=jelly-tags.patch

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi morgan

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- robert burrell donkin

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Morgan Delagrange" <md...@yahoo.com>
> --- James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I'm gonna sit on the fence a little as I agree with
> > both of you. Before a
> > 1.0 release I'd like to
> >
> > * provide a simple build to build and test all the
> > libraries (hopefully
> > using Maven reactor though anything would do). This
> > can help in refactoring,
> > testing that we don't break things.
>
> Everything appears to be correct in the reactor.  I
> verified via debug statements that the parse fails
> when MavenUtils.getProject(File, MavenJellyContext,
> boolean) attempts to parse the projectDescriptor with
> Betwixt via the BeanReader.parse(File) method.  That
> method seems to be inherited from Digester, and looks
> fine:
>
>     public Object parse(File file)
>       throws IOException, SAXException {
>         configure();
>         InputSource input =
>           new InputSource(new FileInputStream(file));
>         input.setSystemId("file://" +
>           file.getAbsolutePath());
>         getXMLReader().parse(input);
>         return (root);
>     }
>
> Wierd.

Is this one of those problems of the current working directory being
different (when built using the reactor) to what it is when just building
one library at a time?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

[jelly] commonDependencies.ent - recent change

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
The recent change to the project.xml of the ant taglib causes an issue
with Xerces under jdk1.3.1 on my machine.

Building with JDK 1.4.1 works fine, other than the failing test in the
html taglib I added yesterday.

Here's the JDK1.3 stacktrace:
------>8---------------------------
C:\source\jakarta\jakarta-commons-sandbox\jelly>set
JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.3.1_06

C:\source\jakarta\jakarta-commons-sandbox\jelly>maven -e tags-build
 __  __
|  \/  |__ Jakarta _ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|   v. 1.0-beta-8

Attempting to download commons-cli-SNAPSHOT.jar.
Attempting to download commons-lang-SNAPSHOT.jar.
Attempting to download commons-discovery-SNAPSHOT.jar.
Starting the reactor ...

BUILD FAILED
java.net.UnknownHostException: C
        at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:566)
        at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:535)
        at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:444)
        at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:45)
        at sun.net.NetworkClient.openServer(NetworkClient.java:33)
        at sun.net.ftp.FtpClient.openServer(FtpClient.java:262)
        at sun.net.ftp.FtpClient.<init>(FtpClient.java:376)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.ftp.FtpURLConnection.connect(FtpURLConnection.ja
va:72)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.ftp.FtpURLConnection.getInputStream(FtpURLConnec
tion.java:91)
        at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:793)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startEntity(XMLEntityManager.
java:796)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startEntity(XMLEntityManager.
java:725)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEntityRefer
ence(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1073)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContent
Dispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1489)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XM
LDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:333)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.jav
a:524)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.jav
a:580)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:152)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.j
ava:1169)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1266)
        at org.apache.maven.MavenUtils.getProject(MavenUtils.java:192)
------>8---------------------------

And the jdk1.4 starting fine:
------>8---------------------------
C:\source\jakarta\jakarta-commons-sandbox\jelly>set
JAVA_HOME=c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01

C:\source\jakarta\jakarta-commons-sandbox\jelly>maven -e tags-build
 __  __
|  \/  |__ Jakarta _ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|   v. 1.0-beta-8

Attempting to download commons-cli-SNAPSHOT.jar.
Attempting to download commons-lang-SNAPSHOT.jar.
Attempting to download commons-discovery-SNAPSHOT.jar.
Starting the reactor ...
Our processing order:
commons-jelly-tags-soap
commons-jelly-tags-junit
commons-jelly-tags-util
commons-jelly-tags-threads
commons-jelly-tags-xml
commons-jelly-tags-antlr
commons-jelly-tags-dynabean
commons-jelly-tags-log
commons-jelly-tags-define
commons-jelly-tags-http
commons-jelly-tags-jetty
commons-jelly-tags-swing
commons-jelly-tags-betwixt
commons-jelly-tags-sql
commons-jelly-tags-swt
commons-jelly-tags-xmlunit
commons-jelly-tags-ant
commons-jelly-tags-jsl
commons-jelly-tags-html
commons-jelly-tags-bsf
commons-jelly-tags-jms
commons-jelly-tags-email
commons-jelly-tags-beanshell
commons-jelly-tags-fmt
commons-jelly-tags-ojb
commons-jelly-tags-quartz
commons-jelly-tags-bean
commons-jelly-tags-validate
commons-jelly-tags-velocity
commons-jelly-tags-interaction
------>8---------------------------

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm gonna sit on the fence a little as I agree with
> both of you. Before a
> 1.0 release I'd like to
>
> * provide a simple build to build and test all the
> libraries (hopefully
> using Maven reactor though anything would do). This
> can help in refactoring,
> testing that we don't break things.

Everything appears to be correct in the reactor.  I
verified via debug statements that the parse fails
when MavenUtils.getProject(File, MavenJellyContext,
boolean) attempts to parse the projectDescriptor with
Betwixt via the BeanReader.parse(File) method.  That
method seems to be inherited from Digester, and looks
fine:

    public Object parse(File file)
      throws IOException, SAXException {
        configure();
        InputSource input =
          new InputSource(new FileInputStream(file));
        input.setSystemId("file://" +
          file.getAbsolutePath());
        getXMLReader().parse(input);
        return (root);
    }

Wierd.

> * fix the tag reference documentation build process,
> both as reference
> documentation is very useful and that the current
> hacked-together-doclet
> causes a dependency of the core Jelly jar on javadoc
> and nekohtml. Moving
> this into (say) a Maven plugin seems like a good
> idea
>
> James

Sounds good.

- Morgan