Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by robin <ro...@sublime.org> on 2001/11/19 19:09:47 UTC

LinkageError running 4.0.1 on IBM 1.3.0 VM

Hi,

I'm trying to run Tomcat 4.0.1 under the IBM JVM 1.3.0.  If I start by unpacking the archive, and then use the startup.sh script, after setting my path and unsetting my classpath I get the following output from the scripts:

Starting...
Using CLASSPATH:     /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat//bin/bootstrap.jar
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/
Using JAVA_HOME:     /usr/local/IBMJava2-13/jre/

This seems healthy enough, but logs/catalina.out contains:

Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  start: :  java.lang.LinkageError: Class java/net/URL violates loader constraints
LifecycleException:  start: :  java.lang.LinkageError: Class java/net/URL violates loader constraints
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:84)
        at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Exception.java:35)
        at org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException.<init>(LifecycleException.java:126)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.start(WebappLoader.java:641)

[ etc. etc. ]

Which is decidedly less healthy, and the server won't respond to any requests.

I tried the same thing using sun's jdk 1.2.2, and got:

Starting...
Using CLASSPATH:     /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat//bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.2.2//lib/tools.jar
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/
Using JAVA_HOME:     /usr/local/jdk1.2.2/

from the script, and a working server.

The platform is linux 2.2.12-20 on a PIII.

After I hit this problem, I tried building from source under the IBM jvm, mainly to see whether it would throw up anything useful.  I hit on a 'sealing violation' right at the beginning of the build, in ANT, and this reproduced on the sun jvm .  I am aware that this means that there are more than one jar containing members of a package and at least one of them is sealed.  I tried clearing the classpath altogether, but got the same problem.  In any case - all I want is a binary version which works with the IBM vm.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Thanks.

-Robin Barooah

Re: LinkageError running 4.0.1 on IBM 1.3.0 VM

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
Hi Robin,

I'm using the IBM JDK on Linux (RH7.1 w/2.4.14 kernel) with TC 4.0.1 without
any problems. The only difference I can see from your setup is that my
JAVA_HOME variable points to the toplevel of the IBM directory structure:

/usr/local/java/IBMJava2-13

not

/usr/local/java/IBMJava2-13/jre

I get this output when I run startup.sh:

-----------
Using CLASSPATH:
/usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/java/IBMJa
va2-13/lib/tools.jar
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1
Using JAVA_HOME:     /usr/local/java/IBMJava2-13

Notice that the CLASSPATH contains the "tools.jar" file. On yours it
doesn't. Don't know if this will make a difference or not, but I don't see
anything else that's obvious.

Thanks,
--jeff