Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/03 11:02:51 UTC

About supporting JSR 109 in WSM

Hi,

I'd like to start to work on JSR 109 (MR 1.1) support of Beehive WSM.
Do you have any suggestions and comments on that?

Thanks in advance,

Ias

Re: About supporting JSR 109 in WSM

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.
Ias--

  This would be great!  I'll describe where WSM is today; there are a
couple of big cleanup tasks left to do:

- change the format of the serialized web service information from a
serialized Java object to an XML file
- take a close look at type mapping relative to integrating with Axis;
this is just messy code, and there has to be a better way.  :)

  But, if you want to just jump in on JSR-109 support, that would
probably be fine.  We use a new architecture for annotation processing
that is basically a pipeline that does:

- annotation checking for JSR-181 compliance including some light WSDL
contract validation
- web service model creation.  Instead of creating a WSDL, the
infrastructure creates a BeehiveWsTypeMetadata JavaBean that
represents the service implementation.  I'm definitely not wedded to
this and would be open to changing it if there's a Better Way.
- code generation.  Code generation takes the JavaBean model above and
then produces any source / XML artifacts.

Take a look at beehive/trunk/wsm/src/core to see all of this code; the
APIs that drive the process are:

  Jsr181AnnotationChecker -> BeehiveWsMetadataFactory ->
BeehiveWsTypeMetadataFactory -> WsmResourceGenerator

There are a couple of other changes that are coming:

- complete decoupling from XMLBeans.  It would be great to support
XMLBeans as a native type, but it would be great if we didn't
*require* it.
- renaming the Beehive* and Wsm* classes to remove those monikers
which are encoded in the package names

  That's where WSM is today -- I'd really like to pass the JSR-181 TCK
in the next couple of months, but go ahead and get started on JSR-109
if you're interested.  Should just be a matter of plugging in as a
WsmResourceGenerator, though I'm sure it won't be quite that simple.
:)

Eddie