Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "La Motta, David" <Da...@netapp.com> on 2013/06/14 16:53:42 UTC

enableStorageMaintenance

…works great for putting down the storage into maintenance mode (looking forward seeing this for secondary storage as well!).

Now the question is, after I've run it… how do I know when it is done so I can operate on the volume?

Poll using updateStoragePool and query the state for "Maintenance"?  What about introducing the ability to pass in callback URLs to the REST call?

Thx.

David La Motta
Technical Marketing Engineer
Citrix Solutions

NetApp
919.476.5042
dlamotta@netapp.com<ma...@netapp.com>

Re: enableStorageMaintenance

Posted by "La Motta, David" <Da...@netapp.com>.
I smell another hackathon topic  ;-)

David La Motta
Technical Marketing Engineer
Citrix Solutions

NetApp
919.476.5042
dlamotta@netapp.com<ma...@netapp.com>

On Jun 18, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>>
 wrote:

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 01:32:40PM +0000, La Motta, David wrote:
Thanks, Edison.

"With the job ID, you can periodically check the job status by making calls to queryAsyncJobResult command."

My question remains, then: can the API introduce callbacks so we don't have to polling, especially on long running operations?

Someone would need to design / implement that, and proposals + patches
are welcome!

Re: enableStorageMaintenance

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 01:32:40PM +0000, La Motta, David wrote:
> Thanks, Edison.
>
> "With the job ID, you can periodically check the job status by making calls to queryAsyncJobResult command."
>
> My question remains, then: can the API introduce callbacks so we don't have to polling, especially on long running operations?

Someone would need to design / implement that, and proposals + patches
are welcome!

Re: enableStorageMaintenance

...works great for putting down the storage into maintenance mode (looking
forward seeing this for secondary storage as well!).

Now the question is, after I've run it... how do I know when it is done so I can
operate on the volume?

enableStorageMaintenance will return a job id, which can be used in queryAsyncJobResult. Here is the doc:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.0/html/Developers_Guide/asynchronous-commands.html

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Posted by "La Motta, David" <Da...@netapp.com>.
Yep.  The purpose of quiescing is exactly as described in that document:  taking a backup without powering off the VM.

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.