Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2005/01/29 17:01:06 UTC

[vfs] Re: memory FS

Hello!
>Instead what we can do is implement Memory FS in c or other
>native language extremely coupled with OS and machine and build one common
>wrapper in java.

If there is a user who uses JAVA, VFS and its RamFS and states the RamFS
is too slow for its usage, we could talk about it.
Until this appens, I dont want to see native code within VFS.

Provide native code for all possible architectures is way too much work
- at least this isnt work I would like to do and spend time for it.

­---
Mario

Re: [vfs] Re: memory FS

Posted by "B. K. Oxley (binkley)" <bi...@alumni.rice.edu>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> If there is a user who uses JAVA, VFS and its RamFS and states the RamFS
> is too slow for its usage, we could talk about it.
> Until this appens, I dont want to see native code within VFS.
>
> Provide native code for all possible architectures is way too much work
> - at least this isnt work I would like to do and spend time for it.

Actually... JDK 5 has a solution.  Look at ByteBuffer.  :-)  If you're
desperate for native memory, allocate buffers natively.  It's not my cup
of tea, but maybe it floats your boat.

Cheers,
--binkley