Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paul Shemansky <pa...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/23 23:59:30 UTC

New Developer / Contributor Introduction

Fellow Developers,

I am new to this mailing list, and I wanted to take a moment to
introduce myself. I
have been a Java developer since 2001, and an open source advocate since the
mid-90s. It would be an honor to volunteer a part of my time to work on
several Apache projects which I have found to be vital to my career.
Therefore, on 10/12/2007, I faxed my signed Contributor License
Agreement to the Apache Software Foundation.

The first project I joined the developer's list for was Tomcat.  I
offered to volunteer some of my spare time to convert Tomcat's build
process from Ant to Maven 2.  For more information on this migration
discussion, please see :

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tomcat.apache.org/msg20458.html

Although the Tomcat group voted against full migration to Maven 2,
they were not opposed to making it available as an alternate build
process.  If anyone would be interested in joining this effort, please
let me know.

In the process of starting a Maven 2 prototype build for Tomcat, I
have decided that I should probably join this group as well. If there
is anything specific that I can help with, please let me know.  I look
forward to working with you.

Sincerely,
Paul Shemansky
paul.shemansky[at]gmail[dot]com

P.S. - I am currently scheduled to host a Maven 2 discussion at the
ACGNJ - Java User's Group in Scotch Plains, NJ on November, 13th,
2007.  If you are in the area, please feel free to stop in and visit.
For details visit :

http://javasig.redlich.net/  --> Click +Meeting Information > +2007 > November
http://www.geocities.com/mpredli/javasig/2007/nov2007.html

Re: New Developer / Contributor Introduction

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Welcome Paul!

Two places to read if you haven't are the roles at the ASF:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#meritocracy
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

It's important to note that sending the CLA alone doesn't make you a
committer - you must first contribute for a period to show enough
merit that another committer might nominate you.

As for what to work on - that's really what interests you. The known
issues are in JIRA, and there is a page in confluence that lists some
design topics, though it has been down a bit over the last couple of
days (And is now)

Right now, we're needing testers for the 2.0.8 release. We always
like documentation ideas and contributions, as well as evangelism as
you are doing.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Brett