Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Kennell <da...@hotmail.com> on 2006/06/08 20:56:17 UTC

JSPs will not load with virtual domain

Hello,

I have a rather intresting but probably simple problem, as I am basically
new to tomcat. Currently I am running Tomcat 5.5.17 on a Windows 2000
server. I installed the admin tool and setup a connector for port 80 and
then a host of www.btdt.com (which I handle locally on my DNS).

Here is the kicker. If I goto www.btdt.com/index.jsp it will not
load...however if I goto 192.168.0.101/btdt the page renders fine. So I
tried something static. if I goto www.btdt.com/static.htm it will load
fine... as will 192.168.0.101/btdt/static.htm  I am absoultly baffled as to
why the virtual host fails to render the JSPs

Can anyone help?

Re: JSPs will not load with virtual domain/Context Issue

Posted by Giorgio Ponza <gi...@opla.it>.
Dave Kennell wrote:
> Well,
>
> Your context idea was a step in the right direction. I hate to be a
> bother however now as long as the JSP is in the root. It works great.
> But as soon as I try to goto www.test.com/admin it cannot find any of
> the classes that my JSPs have in them. Ive tried adding multiple
> variations of context tags within the host to remidy this with no luck
> in fixing the issue...
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Hi, my opinion
i would install everything under webapps/test/ROOT
create a META-INF dir inside it and edit a new file context.xml with
this content
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context cookies="true"
   crossContext="false"
   docBase="ROOT"
   privileged="false"
   path=""
   reloadable="true">
</Context>

then i would delete the "<Context" directive inside server.xml & restart
tomcat

Tell us if u still need help
Giorgio Ponza

Posted by Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net>.

Posted by Dave Kennell <da...@hotmail.com>.
Well I did a little digging...I couldn't find any error messages but I did
realize an important clue. All of my JSPs that I try to load have calls to a
java class I've written, if I goto a JSP that doesn't have any calls to my
Java classes then presto...it loads without problem. In addition, it cannot
find any of my servlets. So I've come to the conclusion that it is entirly
disregarding my WEB-INF folder... Only when I load it up on my virtual host.
Or in other words, it works fine when I goto 192.168.0.101/test but if I
goto www.test.com it wont load, even though they point to the same place.

The following is my 'host' code in server.xml

<Host
          appBase="webapps/test
          autoDeploy="true"
          deployOnStartup="true"
          deployXML="false"
          liveDeploy="true"
          name="www.test.com"
          unpackWARs="false">
      </Host>

>I have a rather intresting but probably simple problem, as I am basically
>new to tomcat. Currently I am running Tomcat 5.5.17 on a Windows 2000
>server. I installed the admin tool and setup a connector for port 80 and
>then a host of www.btdt.com (which I handle locally on my DNS).
>
>Here is the kicker. If I goto www.btdt.com/index.jsp it will not
>load...however if I goto 192.168.0.101/btdt the page renders fine. So I
>tried something static. if I goto www.btdt.com/static.htm it will load
>fine... as will 192.168.0.101/btdt/static.htm  I am absoultly baffled as to
>why the virtual host fails to render the JSPs
>
>Can anyone help?
huh, as I see you haven't receive any answer so I will try something...
Check tomcat/logs directory... catalina.out and other files for any
meaningful error. If you cannot see anything there post your server.xml file
(without comments and unnecessary burden here) and I will try to look at it.

--
Mladen Adamovic
http://home.blic.net/adamm  http://www.shortopedia.com http://www.froola.com

Re: JSPs will not load with virtual domain

Posted by Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net>.