Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gil Dawson <Gi...@GilDawson.com> on 2014/08/27 20:43:06 UTC

[users@httpd] Directory fetch?

When my access log shows that an unrecognized IP address requested...

	"GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 322

...does that mean that I served it my top-level directory?

If so, can Apache prohibit that request from succeeding?

I want to serve the files when requested, if the client knows the file name a priori, but not the whole directory.

--Gil

Re: [users@httpd] Directory fetch?

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.
That means it served what ever your DirectoryIndex is. The default is
usually index.html or something similar.
If you set "DirectoryIndex disabled" (in Apache 2.4), Apache won't look for
any file.

If mod_autoindex is loaded, it could also serve a directory listing.
You could disable it or you could add "Options -Indexes" to your Directory
configuration.

[users@httpd] Re: Directory fetch?

Posted by Gil Dawson <Gi...@GilDawson.com>.
Oh!  Of course!

On Aug 27, 2014, at 12:03 PM, lists-apache wrote:
> would have delivered the "index" file

Of course!  That's the way it's supposed to work!

Apologies for my paranoia, and thanks for setting me straight.

--Gil