Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Re...@aol.com on 2004/03/20 13:11:59 UTC

[users@httpd] installation and win2000

Dear friends,
When I install Apache 2 on windows 2000 the installation window asks for
Domain name,
server name,
administrators email

Tutorials mention. Don't change server name or domain name without actually
having the appropriate DNS and network configuration for the host.
Where do I get these details.
Comments, please

[users@httpd] Re: installation and win2000

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.
If you are not on a domain then just go by that query.  If you are you will find it in Right-click My Computer | Properties | Network Identification.  You will also see the Full Computer name there also in the form computername.domain.  Your e-mail address can be anything.  HTH.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

Re: [users@httpd] installation and win2000

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.
On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 07:11, Remember14a@aol.com wrote:
> Dear friends,
> When I install Apache 2 on windows 2000 the installation window asks for

> Domain name,

Do you have an internet Domain Name?

 ...purchased from a domain registrar
 ...free from DynDNS for example

 ...for example 'tor.ath.cx' - my domain from DynDNS

> server name,

Does you server have a name?

 ... for example 'mgla.tor.ath.cx' - my primary web server

The combination of these must resolve by DNS to an Ip Address

> administrators email

Do you have an email address?
Are you the administrator?

This address is so that you can be contacted with problems. The web
server will display this under various circumstances.

> Tutorials mention. Don't change server name or domain name without actually
> having the appropriate DNS and network configuration for the host.

You must buy a domain or get a free one from a dynanmic DNS provider.

You must have given the machine a name when you built it...

You get an email address from a provider of email... your ISP perhaps.