Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> on 2016/03/03 01:41:43 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Kudu (incubating) 0.7.1 RC1

Hi,

We're happy to announce the first release candidate for Apache Kudu
(incubating) 0.7.1.

This release fixes a few important bugs found during the process of
releasing 0.7.0 that didn't warrant sinking the vote for. It also takes
care of fixing some licenses.

The is a source-only release. The artifacts were staged here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/kudu/0.7.1-RC1/

It was built from this tag:
https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-kudu.git;a=commit;h=bd191ec7366e13c3a11c6144f3b5af03d6496b38

The list of all issues fixed can be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20KUDU%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%200.7.1

KEYS file:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/kudu/KEYS

I'd suggest going through the README, building Kudu, and running the unit
tests.

Please try the release and vote; vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

Thanks,

J-D

Re: [VOTE] Apache Kudu (incubating) 0.7.1 RC1

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

I downloaded the files, checked the sha1, md5, and signature. I compiled it
on CentOS 6.6 in debug mode, ran the unit tests:

100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 179
Label Time Summary:
no_dist_test    =  10.24 sec
no_tsan         =   3.58 sec
Total Test time (real) = 231.48 sec

I also deployed a release package on a small cluster, ran YCSB, killed a
node, ran YCSB again, brought up the node back, ran YCSB. Finally, ran ksck
with checksum scan and it came back good too.

J-D

Posted by Adar Dembo <ad...@cloudera.com>.
+1

I built the release on Ubuntu 15.10 (gcc 5.2). All the tests passed. I also
glanced at the list of fixed issues; it looks good to me.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Misty Stanley-Jones <
mstanleyjones@cloudera.com> wrote:

> There is a chicken-and-egg problem here. The solution may be that the only
> 'release notes' we have for a patch release like this are links to the JIRA
> query and the Github tags which will show the changes. Those two URLs can
> be predicted ahead of time and will still work even if we have to go
> through multiple RCs. This helps us to stick to not introducing new
> features or incompatible changes in patch releases, since we would have no
> mechanism to document them. We can also add a Release Notes field to JIRA
> so that people can see a draft of the release note for a given issue before
> it is even part of a release.

I'm pretty strongly against the only release notes being JIRA links, etc.
Most consumers of products (even technical products like Kudu) don't want
to parse through technical descriptions. My experience on Hadoop/HDFS is
that developers aren't good at deciding when to fill in the 'Release Note'
field and even when they do, the automated queries that pull the info end
up producing documents with poor organization that aren't very useful to
users.

I _do_ like the idea of using a 'release notes' field on JIRA or at least a
'Needs release notes' field, so that we can quickly double check when
preparing a release that everything that should have been noted was.

What's the concern about "predicted ahead of time"? Perhaps we can publish
the 'next-version' docs with a header saying "These release notes are
work-in-progress for Kudu 0.7.2, which has not yet been released." by means
of a special build-time flag? This is what LLVM does, for example:
http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html

As a consumer of LLVM I appreciate that I can view this page (whose URL
never changes) to see what's coming down the pipe. This encourages me to
try out release candidates (or even trunk builds) when I see new features
or bug fixes that are relevant.

-Todd

Posted by Misty Stanley-Jones <ms...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> For 0.7.1 I'm asking for a free pass OR we sink it right away, push the
> release notes ASAP, and roll out a new RC with a 24h voting period.

I'd be +0 on skipping for this release. However it probably means we need a
"docs release" tag so we know where to build the docs from for pushing them
to the site. I'm also +1 for a quick 24h vote on RC2, especially if all we
put in it are docs changes relative to RC1.

Personally I don't think relnotes for a patch release need to be at the
standard of a major release. Just a list of the most important changes is
probably sufficient.

Something else we could do is simply "git rm" the release notes from the
master branch docs and make it a web site-only thing. That fully decouples
it from voting, and maybe it makes life easier for the RM.

Mike

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.