Posted to user@spark.apache.org by ishaaq <is...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/15 14:28:03 UTC

standalone vs YARN

Hi all,
I am evaluating Spark to use here at my work.

We have an existing Hadoop 1.x install which I planning to upgrade to Hadoop
2.3.

I am trying to work out whether I should install YARN or simply just setup a
Spark standalone cluster. We already use ZooKeeper so it isn't a problem to
setup HA. I am puzzled however as to how the Spark nodes can coordinate on
data locality - i.e., assuming I install the nodes on the same machines as
the DFS data nodes, I don't understand how Spark can work out which nodes
should get which splits of the jobs?

Anyway, my bigger question remains: YARN or standalone? Which is the more
stable option currently? Which is the more future-proof option?

Thanks,
Ishaaq

Re: standalone vs YARN

Posted by Surendranauth Hiraman <su...@velos.io>.
Prashant,

In another email thread several weeks ago, it was mentioned that YARN
support is considered beta until Spark 1.0. Is that not the case?

-Suren

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Prashant Sharma <sc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Ishaaq,
>
> answers inline from what I know, I had like to be corrected though.
>
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM, ishaaq <is...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I am evaluating Spark to use here at my work.
>>
>> We have an existing Hadoop 1.x install which I planning to upgrade to
>> Hadoop
>> 2.3.
>>
>> This is not really a requirement for spark, if you are doing for some
> other reason great !
>

>> I am trying to work out whether I should install YARN or simply just
>> setup a
>> Spark standalone cluster. We already use ZooKeeper so it isn't a problem
>> setup HA. I am puzzled however as to how the Spark nodes can coordinate on
>> data locality - i.e., assuming I install the nodes on the same machines as
>> the DFS data nodes, I don't understand how Spark can work out which nodes
>> should get which splits of the jobs?
>>
>> This happens exactly the same way hadoop's mapreduce figures out data
> locality. Since we support hadoop's inputformats(which also has the
> information on how data is partitioned) etc. So having spark workers share
> the same nodes as your DFS is a good idea.
>

>> Anyway, my bigger question remains: YARN or standalone? Which is the more
>> stable option currently? Which is the more future-proof option?
>>

> Well I think standalone is stable enough for all purposes and Spark's yarn
> support has been keeping up with latest hadoop versions too. It depends on
> the fact that if you are already using yarn and don't want the hassle of
> setting up another cluster manager you can probably prefer yarn.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Ishaaq
>>

>> --

SUREN HIRAMAN, VP TECHNOLOGY