Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Filip Pavlin <fp...@pinnacle.com.au> on 2007/11/16 02:10:04 UTC

Tree widget - slow when heavily populated?

Hi,

I just recently added the cocoon tree widget to our application (which I’m
populating dynamically with data from a database) and everything is working
fine (I’m using cocoon-2.1.9, jdk1.6, tomcat-5.5.17 on Win XP).

However, I noticed that the opening of a node takes significantly longer
(even if there’s only one child-node underneath) if there are lots of nodes
already displayed (with ‘lots of node’ I mean many hundreds or even more).
The opening of the same node takes much less time if I minimize the number
of open nodes.

To illustrate this:

|---|

|   |---

|   … (hundreds of open nodes)

|   |---

|---|      <-- opening node with only one child takes about 10s

\

|---|      <-- opening same node as above (with only one child) takes about
1s

Has anyone observed this kind of behaviour? Is that an expected behaviour?

Apart from the tree population (which as I mentioned is happening
dynamically) everything else is implemented pretty much in the same way as
the tree samples provided with cocoon-2.1.9.

Thanks for your time.

Filip

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.