Posted to women@apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@apache.org> on 2005/11/02 20:10:48 UTC

ApacheCon Hackathon (was Is posting to this list easy or hard?)

Ted Leung wrote:
> One, it is really really beneficial to come to the hackathon and
> ApacheCon - it puts a lot more humanness into the ASF.

I've never been to the hackathon (though I think I will this time). From
previous rounds, I can say for anyone wondering that there's no charge
to attend the hackathon. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.

Can somebody explain how to sign up for the hackathon?
Also, Ben Laurie mentioned in another thread that committers can invite
noncommitters. So, what's the procedure for a committer adding a
non-committer?

thanks,

  -jean

Re: ApacheCon Hackathon (was Is posting to this list easy or hard?)

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> What's the best advice for someone on women@ who is interested in going
> but is not a committer? contact a committer on her apache project? post
> to this list?

Fortunately or not, things like this effectively work on personal
relationships.  So if you're a non-committer ask around (nicely, of
course) in any of the communities you already participate, or ask around
here or on community@ or the like.

If you're still really not ready to bust into open mailing lists yet
asking for an invite, then just email Jean - it sounds like she just
volunteered to consider taking guests...  8-P

> p.s. btw, I like your factoids, Shane.

Gosh, thanks!  Was hoping they were appreciated.  I've been a tester and
tech writer as well as a coder, so (when I have time) it's nice to
demistify the uber-geek talk now and then.

- Shane

Re: ApacheCon Hackathon (was Is posting to this list easy or hard?)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Shane Curcuru wrote:
> The Hackathon is free and is open to committers and invited guests of
> committers.  It is held Sun/Sat 10/11-Dec of ApacheCon US - during the
> tutorials - in a conference room in the same hotel.
>
> To attend, you *must* update the hackathon signup sheet.  (OK, you don't
> have to, but you might not get a t-shirt if you don't!)  To invite a
> guest - someone who hopefully is interested in something about Apache
> and is kinda cool - simply put their name in the signup sheet as well,
> marked [GUEST].
>
> See svn://committers/hackathons/2005/ApacheCon_US.txt for details and
> the hackathon signup sheet.

ok, I just added myself to the signup sheet.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
The Hackathon is free and is open to committers and invited guests of
committers.  It is held Sun/Sat 10/11-Dec of ApacheCon US - during the
tutorials - in a conference room in the same hotel.

To attend, you *must* update the hackathon signup sheet.  (OK, you don't
have to, but you might not get a t-shirt if you don't!)  To invite a
guest - someone who hopefully is interested in something about Apache
and is kinda cool - simply put their name in the signup sheet as well,
marked [GUEST].

See svn://committers/hackathons/2005/ApacheCon_US.txt for details and
the hackathon signup sheet.

The hackathon itself is an unstructured event, and is basically a big
room with power and networking where folks can meetup, do work,
socialize, and collaborate.  Some ASF projects organize their own
meetings during this time; some folks just come to kibbitz and catch up
with friends; some folks come to make new friends.

Hope to see folks there!

- Shane

Faqtoid: What the heck kind of protocol is svn://committers...?

svn stands for Subversion, the new revision control system that's taking
the world by revolution, and is replacing CVS at Apache as our supported
code checkin system.  The format above is a common shorthand, and
assumes you know where the committers repository actually is (which is
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers).

Note that this repository is private to all existing ASF committers (of
any projects), so if you're not a committer this is one of the few
things at the ASF you cannot see.

Re: ApacheCon Hackathon (was Is posting to this list easy or hard?)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Ted Leung wrote:
> >One, it is really really beneficial to come to the hackathon and
> >ApacheCon - it puts a lot more humanness into the ASF.
>
> I've never been to the hackathon (though I think I will this time). From
> previous rounds, I can say for anyone wondering that there's no charge
> to attend the hackathon. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.
>
> Can somebody explain how to sign up for the hackathon?

The announcement and details were sent to all committers
on 1 October.

It is a good idea for committers to also subscribe to the
committers-cvs@a.o list.

I recommend going. For me it is the highlight of ApacheCon.

-David