Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2002/01/21 16:53:52 UTC

Re: staging/promotion (CVS for XML?)

On Monday 21 January 2002 15:51, Robert Koberg wrote:
> . . .
> Is cvs the best thing for text-based version control?

I think yes - these days CVS tends to be the "category killer" for version
control of text and binary files.

> Is there some Open Source versioning software that handles XML? That is,
> when there is a conflict it keeps the content piece well-formed and
> identifies the conflicts. I have only had some limited experince with
> cvs...

Would be great for sure, AFAIK there is no such thing yet but I'd like to be
proved wrong.

In the meantime, I'd go with CVS and prevent conflicts by requiring locking -
I think CVS allows you to do that.

- Bertrand

Re: staging/promotion (CVS for XML?)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ba...@nicolaken.com>.
> On Monday 21 January 2002 15:51, Robert Koberg wrote:
> > Is there some Open Source versioning software that handles XML? That is,
> > when there is a conflict it keeps the content piece well-formed and
> > identifies the conflicts. I have only had some limited experince with
> > cvs...
>
> Would be great for sure, AFAIK there is no such thing yet but I'd like to
be
> proved wrong.

For comparing XML files, there's also Xdiff
(http://www.vmguys.com/vmtools/), available with Apache-like licence.

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 xml-cocoon@nicolaken.com
These are the days of miracle and wonder...

Re: staging/promotion (CVS for XML?)

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> > Is there some Open Source versioning software that handles XML? That is,
> > when there is a conflict it keeps the content piece well-formed and
> > identifies the conflicts. I have only had some limited experince with
> > cvs...
>
> Would be great for sure, AFAIK there is no such thing yet but I'd like to be
> proved wrong.

Kip Hampton wrote an article for XML.com about his Perl module
XML::SemanticDiff. It's just a simple SAX thing, so should be really easy
to port to Java.

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->Get a smart net</:->