Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Perrin Bignoli <pb...@chewy.com> on 2017/05/02 14:30:23 UTC

Solr 6.5.1-SNAPSHOT

Hi All,

I’m eager to begin using Solr 6.5.1, but I noticed that it is still a snapshot according to the page at http://lucene.apache.org/solr/6_5_1/index.html despite apparently having been officially released.

Is this just an error on the page?  The 6.5.1 archives available for download seem to be named consistently with being release versions (i.e. without the –SNAPSHOT suffix).  My concern is that I want to make sure that Solr 6.5.1 is going to be continuously available from here on out.  I’m fairly certain that I saw the latest release page go back to 6.5.0 at some point since last Thursday.

Thanks!

Best,
Perrin

Re: Solr 6.5.1-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Perrin Bignoli <pb...@chewy.com>.
Thanks Jim and Shawn!  I don’t currently see any places where 6.5.0 is listed as the latest release, so I think everything I noticed will be fixed once the updated javadocs are done.

From: jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 11:13 AM
To: "dev@lucene.apache.org" <de...@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Solr 6.5.1-SNAPSHOT

I pushed the wrong javadocs, I am currently rebuilding the documentation and the correct one should appear in a couple of hours.
Thanks for noticing Perrin and sorry for the trouble.

Jim

On 5/2/2017 8:30 AM, Perrin Bignoli wrote:
> I’m eager to begin using Solr 6.5.1, but I noticed that it is still a
> snapshot according to the page at
> http://lucene.apache.org/solr/6_5_1/index.html despite apparently
> having been officially released.

The 6.5.1 version is officially released, the download has the correct
name, and when Solr is started, has the correct version number
internally.  I think it's safe to use the software.

> Is this just an error on the page?  The 6.5.1 archives available for
> download seem to be named consistently with being release versions
> (i.e. without the –SNAPSHOT suffix).  My concern is that I want to
> make sure that Solr 6.5.1 is going to be continuously available from
> here on out.  I’m fairly certain that I saw the latest release page go
> back to 6.5.0 at some point since last Thursday.

All the information I can find says the latest version is 6.5.1.  The
documentation link that you provided looks like it was not correctly
updated.  If you are seeing a public Apache web page that still says the
latest version is 6.5.0, please provide a link so we can see the problem
and get it corrected.

Jim: This note goes to you, as the RM for the 6.5.1 release.  It looks
like the documentation for both Lucene and Solr didn't get updated
correctly.  As noted by Perrin, the Solr documentation all says
"6.5.1-SNAPSHOT" even though the URL looks correct.  I discovered that
the Lucene documentation also has this problem.

http://lucene.apache.org/core/6_5_1/index.html

If I had any idea how to fix this, I would go ahead and do it, but I
don't have any idea how.  I do not know if there are other things that
also need updating besides the Lucene and Solr documentation.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr 6.5.1-SNAPSHOT

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr 6.5.1-SNAPSHOT

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.
Ok javadocs should be fixed now with the correct links and no -SNAPSHOT.
You're right Uwe I should have noticed, apologize for this and thanks for
the explanation.

RE: Solr 6.5.1-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
OK,

RE: Solr 6.5.1-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

> Jim: This note goes to you, as the RM for the 6.5.1 release.  It looks
> like the documentation for both Lucene and Solr didn't get updated
> correctly.  As noted by Perrin, the Solr documentation all says
> "6.5.1-SNAPSHOT" even though the URL looks correct.  I discovered that
> the Lucene documentation also has this problem.
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/core/6_5_1/index.html
>
> If I had any idea how to fix this, I would go ahead and do it, but I
> don't have any idea how.  I do not know if there are other things that
> also need updating besides the Lucene and Solr documentation.

Hi, I think this is indirectly my fault.

The problem is that we no longer ship the javadocs with the Solr release, so the process of updating the website requires to copy away the javadocs from the source tree after the rlease manager has built the release (there is still an issue open to fix this by supplying a "javadocs-only" TGZ file to resolve this in a convenient way: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10361).

The documentation of the release now says: Either copy away the javadocs ASAP after building the release, or rebuild then later from the sanpshot. Unfortunately, I forgot to add the command line parameter -Dversion=6.5.1 in the wiki. I will update in https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseTodo#Push_docs.2C_changes_and_javadocs_to_the_CMS_production_tree

The easiest way to fix this is to checkout the release tag from Git and then build the javadocs again, using the -Dversion=6.5.1 and redeploy them afterwards.

Sorry for the inconsistent docs (my fault). I'd like to solve this in the future by packaging a separate TGZ file with all javadocs and also vote on them. Currently the release vote excludes the javadocs (at least for solr), because they don't ship anymore as artifact. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10361

Uwe

Re: Solr 6.5.1-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.