Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/10 18:21:19 UTC

Apache Commons Report Due

I will send out our quarterly report later today or tomorrow.

Is there anything you'd like to see mentioned?

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 5:18 AM, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Commons FileUpload 1.3.3

We have a bit of a mess here:

- Commons FileUpload-1.3.2 was released on Wed May 25 2016 and was recorded
in the _previous_ Commons report.
- The download area shows 1.3.2:
http://apache.mirrors.tds.net//commons/fileupload/
- The site shows 1.3.1 as the latest:
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-fileupload/download_fileupload.cgi

Jochen: Can you fix that please?

So there is no 1.3.3; 1.3.2 is the current version and Git master shows
1.4-SNAPSHOT.

Gary

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Commons FileUpload 1.3.3

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:44:01 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 13 September 2016 at 02:48, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Oops, here it is:

>> The Apache Commons project focuses on all aspects of reusable Java
>> components.
>>
>> The Apache Commons components are widely used in many projects, both
>> within
>> Apache and without. Any ASF committer can commit to Apache Commons.
>>
>> The last report was on June 7 2016.
>>
>> ## Issues:
>>  - There are no issues that requires the boards attention this
>> quarter.
>>
>> ## Activity:
>>  - The project is active with 4 releases this reporting period. One
>> new
>>  component being is being readied for release (Commons RNG) and
>> another
>>  component is still in limbo (Commons Math.) after having been
>> forked.
>>  Commons RDF is slowly making its way through the incubator.
>>
>>  - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a
>> new
>>  component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base,
>> which is
>>  has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons
>> Math is
>>  still uncertain and being discussed from time to time.

I'd prefer that the report plainly states that there are several
proposals for fostering new communities in place of the dwindling
Commons Math one, but that those are in limbo because no consensus
can be reached.

>> ## Health report:
>>  - Most components in Commons are mature, but are still actively
>>  maintained (4 releases). The dev list is active. JIRA is active.
>> Speed of
>> committers,
>>  and Commons is still open to any Apache Committer.
>>
>> ## PMC changes:
>>
>>  - Currently 35 PMC members.
>>  - No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
>>  - Last PMC addition was Stian Soiland-Reyes on Wed May 18 2016
>>
>> ## Committer base changes:
>>
>>  - Currently 142 committers.
>>  - New commmitters:
>>     - Artem Barger was added as a committer on Sun Aug 14 2016
>>     - Rob Tompkins was added as a committer on Mon Aug 22 2016
>>     - Eric Barnhill was added as a committer on Tue Sep 06 2016
>>     - Matt Sicker was added as a committer on Wed Jul 27 2016
>
> However Commons uses universal commit, so this may exclude some
> contributors.

More significantly (IMHO) is that this single number is totally
useless (up to misleading) if it purports to represent project
activity.

Better have a histogram of "number of committers that did N commits
in the last 3 months".

Gilles

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.