Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marc Giger <gi...@gmx.ch> on 2003/11/08 14:42:32 UTC

[users@httpd] suexec and NIS

Hi list,

I googl'ed around and searched in all lists which I could find but no
answer to my question. I'm beginning to think it's impossible... but
let me wait for your answers.

I need to switch the uid / gid to the user to which his homedirectory
belongs to. This works fine as long as there is a /etc/passwd file.
BUT there is _NO_ /etc/passwd file. The users have to authentificate
themselves through NIS.

Well, is it possible that suexec gets the needed infos from an NIS
server? If so how?

Thank you very much!

greets

Marc

Re: [users@httpd] suexec and NIS

Posted by Nikolaus Schmitt <n....@scaet.de>.
Hi Marc,

probably You need to configure the /etc/nsswitch.conf accordingly.
suexec.main() does some relevant calls (getpwuid, getpwnam, getgrnam) that
will get mapped by NSS towards NIS (or NISPLUS) on Solaris and (most) Linux
systems.

Read the following:
man nsswitch.conf
http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/802-5747-03/6i9g1bh0c?q=getpwuid+NIS&a=view