Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2006/11/22 01:40:57 UTC

Can anyone build 1.2?

I keep running into car problems, like:

<snip>
[INFO] Packaging module configuration: /Users/jason/ws/geronimo/
server-1.2/configs/system-database/target/plan/plan.xml
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] load of org.apache.geronimo.configs/j2ee-deployer/1.2-SNAPSHOT/
car failed

Configuration gbean failed to start org.apache.geronimo.configs/j2ee-
deployer/1.2-SNAPSHOT/car
</snip>

How useful is that error message... um... not very useful at all.

After building openejb2 by hand, trunk appears to build fine... but I
can't get 1.2 to build.

Has anyone gotten 1.2 to build since the branch was made?

--jason

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Nov 27, 2006, at 1:19 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> Any more progress on this?
>
> I discovered what I think is a blocker with how we are overloading
> the meaning of maven scope and using it to determine geronimo
> ImportType.

Ya... I always thought this was a problem.  The only way to fix this
is to provide a separate dependency-like configuration for cars to
allow extra information to be adorned.

Unfortunately dependency properties were removed from m2 by design...
so any extra information that is needed must be added to a plugin's
configuration element with context of the dependency (groupId/
artifactId) which ends up duplicating a bunch of configuration :-(

Short of convincing the mvn team to bring properties back (or
something similar)... is to update the car plugin to use an explicit
list of dependency-like elements which can contain more configuration
specific to building car files.

> The maven default scope is compile, but we are mapping explicitly
> specified "compile" to   ImportType.CLASSES whereas unspecified
> scope goes to ImportType.ALL.  For me, if I build in the configs
> dir, maven is filling in the default scope for me, so all the car
> dependencies that are supposed to be parents ("ALL") are coming out
> CLASSES.  If I build in the subdir for the config, it works OK.
>
> I'm trying to map "provided" to CLASSES and "compile" (specified
> explicitly or blank) to "ALL but at the moment it looks like
> dependency resolution of "provided" is not transitive ?!?!  I'm
> having some trouble figuring out why this is.

I would imagine provided is not transitive... the artifact should
already exist in the target system, and thus so should its
dependencies.  But I don't fully understand how mvn's transitive deps
work on specific scopes.

> If you want  to take a look I can open a jira issue and attach a
> patch of where I am so far.

I'm gonna be busy all week wrapping up build automation muck, but if
you want to create a patch for review I can take a peek... though my
gut tells me to fix this, we need to implement something in the car
plugin to specify the import-type directly and not overload mvn's scope.

--jason

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
  FWIW, I have successfully built 1.2 by making sure that openejb and
the plugins (car-maven-plugin) in .m2 repo are built using 1.2 jars.
There was no 2.0 version of the plugins and openejb in .m2 repo. All
the configs started except the webconsole (see the trace). I changed
the verson for system-database as follows:
<version>{$geronimoVersion}</version>
   and rebuilt the config. With this the version is resolved to
1.2-SNAPSHOT and not 2.0-SNAPSHOT. The server starts fine now on 1.4
and 1.5. The console is working fine.

thanks
Anita

--- David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
> > Any more progress on this?
>
> I discovered what I think is a blocker with how we are overloading
> the meaning of maven scope and using it to determine geronimo
> ImportType.  The maven default scope is compile, but we are mapping
> explicitly specified "compile" to   ImportType.CLASSES whereas
> unspecified scope goes to ImportType.ALL.  For me, if I build in the
>
> configs dir, maven is filling in the default scope for me, so all the
>
> car dependencies that are supposed to be parents ("ALL") are coming
> out CLASSES.  If I build in the subdir for the config, it works OK.
>
> I'm trying to map "provided" to CLASSES and "compile" (specified
> explicitly or blank) to "ALL but at the moment it looks like
> dependency resolution of "provided" is not transitive ?!?!  I'm
> having some trouble figuring out why this is.
>
> If you want  to take a look I can open a jira issue and attach a
> patch of where I am so far.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>

> > --jason

> fix

> the
> file.

> >> I've implemented this locally and now I can build a 1.2-SNAPSHOT
> >> server that doesn't pull in 2.0-SNAPSHOT stuff.  I also stopped
> >> sharing the kernel between invocations of the car-maven-plugin.
> >> Unfortunately I run out of permGen space building configs.  I'll
> see
> >> if I can reintroduce sharing the kernel and commit this.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> david jencks

> /Users/jason/ws/geronimo/

> org.apache.geronimo.configs/

> all.

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Any more progress on this?

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 23, 2006, at 5:56 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Cool.  What route did you take for the virtual bits?

I made the g. repository list methods look in the DependencyTree we
get from maven.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
I have built trunk (once again not it a single attempt).  First I used used
-Dstage=bootstrap.  Afterwards build failed due to some plugin stuff which I
built separately after removing some dirs from M2 repo.

I am using the same M2 repo for trunk and 1.2 builds.

--vamsi

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: Can anyone build 1.2?