Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/18 12:38:51 UTC

Graduating PDFBox

Hi,

With the 0.8.0 release about to become official in a few days, it's
time for us to focus on getting PDFBox graduated [1] from the Apache
Incubator.

I think PDFBox is in a pretty good shape to graduate into an Apache
top level project (TLP). We have enough active committers and the
incoming patch queue in Jira looks great. All the licensing issues
have been resolved. So, let's start preparing for the graduation.

I'd like to switch my mentor role to a normal committer and PMC member
in the PDFBox TLP, as I've already become quite familiar with the
codebase and I have a number of itches to scratch. How about the other
mentors, do you want to remain as PMC members and/or committers after
PDFBox has graduated?

We'll also need a chairman [2] for the PDFBox TLP. Andreas, are you interested?

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-chair

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Graduating PDFBox

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Jukka Zitting schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll start the graduation process [1] shortly so we can target the
>> October board meeting for the official board resolution and have
>> PDFBox as a TLP just in time for ApacheCon US. :-)
>
> To have something more concrete to vote on, see below for a first
> draft of the PDFBox graduation resolution. There are three important
> things in it:
>
> 1) The scope and purpose of the project. The original definition says
> that PDFBox is an "open source Java PDF library for working with PDF
> documents", which translates into the mission to "create and maintain
> open-source software related to working with PDF documents for
> distribution at no charge to the public." Suggestions about the exact
> wording and scope are of course welcome.
I like your translation. It describes in a few words what PDFBox is used
for.

> 2) The initial members of the PDFBox PMC. I seeded the list with all
> the current committers and mentors.
+1

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: Graduating PDFBox

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll start the graduation process [1] shortly so we can target the
> October board meeting for the official board resolution and have
> PDFBox as a TLP just in time for ApacheCon US. :-)

To have something more concrete to vote on, see below for a first
draft of the PDFBox graduation resolution. There are three important
things in it:

1) The scope and purpose of the project. The original definition says
that PDFBox is an "open source Java PDF library for working with PDF
documents", which translates into the mission to "create and maintain
open-source software related to working with PDF documents for
distribution at no charge to the public." Suggestions about the exact
wording and scope are of course welcome.

2) The initial members of the PDFBox PMC. I seeded the list with all
the current committers and mentors.

3) The first chair of the PMC. I suggested Andreas for this post and
he's willing to take it up. Do we have other candidates?

Please comment and/or suggest edits within the next few days. I'll
start the graduation vote after that.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

    X. Establish the Apache PDFBox Project

       open-source software related to reading, creating and
       manipulating PDF documents for distribution at no charge to
       the public.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache PDFBox Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache PDFBox Project be and hereby is
       related to reading, creating and manipulating PDF documents
       and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache PDFBox" be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
       serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
       of the Apache PDFBox Project, and to have primary responsibility
       for management of the projects within the scope of
       responsibility of the Apache PDFBox Project; and be it further

       Apache PDFBox Project:

         * Andreas Lehmkühler        <le...@apache.org>
         * Ben Litchfield            <bl...@apache.org>
         * Brian Carrier             <ca...@apache.org>
         * Daniel Wilson             <da...@apache.org>
         * Jeremias Märki            <je...@apache.org>
         * Jukka Zitting             <ju...@apache.org>
         * Philipp Koch              <pk...@apache.org>

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that N.N.
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache PDFBox, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache PDFBox PMC be and hereby is
       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache PDFBox Project; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache PDFBox Project be and hereby
       Incubator PDFBox podling; and be it further

       Incubator PDFBox podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: Graduating PDFBox

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> On 18.09.2009 12:38:51 Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> We'll also need a chairman [2] for the PDFBox TLP. Andreas, are you interested?
>
> Good choice IMO. But to fair, other committers could also volunteer for
> the job.

Of course, sorry for implying otherwise.

I should note that the PMC chair is not a "project leader", but rather
the person responsible for taking care of administrative stuff (like
setting up new committer account) and keeping the Apache board up to
date about the actions and activity of the project community. You get
a nice VP title to put in a CV, but otherwise it's just a set of extra
tasks. :-) In general it's a good idea to have the chair be someone
who is actively involved in most parts of the project, so he or she is
well informed about everything that goes on in the community.

Anyone from the PMC is eligible for the post and some PMCs even use
yearly rotation to balance the load among the more active project
members. Do we have other interested people?

I'll start the graduation process [1] shortly so we can target the
October board meeting for the official board resolution and have
PDFBox as a TLP just in time for ApacheCon US. :-)

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#process

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Graduating PDFBox

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Good thinking, Jukka.

On 18.09.2009 12:38:51 Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the 0.8.0 release about to become official in a few days, it's
> time for us to focus on getting PDFBox graduated [1] from the Apache
> Incubator.
>
> I think PDFBox is in a pretty good shape to graduate into an Apache
> top level project (TLP). We have enough active committers and the
> incoming patch queue in Jira looks great. All the licensing issues
> have been resolved. So, let's start preparing for the graduation.
>
> I'd like to switch my mentor role to a normal committer and PMC member
> in the PDFBox TLP, as I've already become quite familiar with the
> codebase and I have a number of itches to scratch. How about the other
> mentors, do you want to remain as PMC members and/or committers after
> PDFBox has graduated?

I've also rummaged around in the code to know my way around. I can't
exactly say that I'd become a very active committer but PDFBox is a
useful library that I'm sure to work with (and on) from time to time. So
if I get free committership I won't say no but I also don't have any
problem earning a committership the "hard way". ;-) I'd also gladly help
out as a PMC member.

> We'll also need a chairman [2] for the PDFBox TLP. Andreas, are you interested?

Good choice IMO. But to fair, other committers could also volunteer for
the job.

> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
> [2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-chair
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Graduating PDFBox

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2009/10/1 Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>:
> Jukka Zitting schrieb:
>> If you have a patch to share, I can commit it.
> Here it is
>
> http://people.apache.org/~lehmi/pdfbox/patches/pdfbox-website-patch.diff

Committed, thanks!

> Do you update people.a.o too?

Yes, done.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Graduating PDFBox

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Jukka Zitting schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/9/28 Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>:
>> Thanks for the hint. I've tried to update the status page but I don't
>> have the karma for svn.
>
> If you have a patch to share, I can commit it.
Here it is

http://people.apache.org/~lehmi/pdfbox/patches/pdfbox-website-patch.diff

Do you update people.a.o too?

TIA
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: Graduating PDFBox

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Graduating PDFBox

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Re: Graduating PDFBox

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Looking at the status page[1] in the "Verify distribution rights"
section it indicates that the licensing issues were resolved by
2009-01-16 - but AIUI the final issues (LEGAL-36 & LEGAL-55) were only
resolved recently on 23rd August 2009. So the resolution date should
be updated - and perhaps a link to the JIRA issues.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/pdfbox.html

Niall