Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Haoning Y Richter <ha...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/20 03:04:07 UTC

Comments on the ppt deck - Onboarding Experience, Knowledge Architecture, Events and D&I

Hi, Aizhamal,

Thank you for sharing such a nice presentation draft with us!

I love the neat design of the slides: simple, pleasant, and just-right
amount of colors.

My background is in the areas of strategic advisory, process design and
implementation, risk management, audit, finance, and accounting.  I'm also
new to Apache.

If you don't mind, I'd like to offer some general suggestions for your
consideration from a new Apache member and non-technical perspectives.

*1. Slide # 1 - Cover Page Slide: *
"The Apache Way for Everyone".   Would "The Apache Way" be more flexible
and more accurate?  It reminds me of "HP Way" but HP did not say "HP Way
for Everyone".
I guess your presentation target audience will be the new Apache
contributors?  In fact, your presentation could probably be a "recruiting"
or "introduction of Apache" tool for anyone who may consider joining Apache
in the future.  If your presentation can be widely used beyond just the
newcomers, remove "for everyone" may be more appealing to the non-Apache
audience.

Currently, there is no "Table of Content".  Would you consider adding it as
your new slide # 2?

*2. Slide # 2 "Mission of ASF": *
"...by providing services and support for *like-minded* software
projects..."
If this is indeed Apache mission or belief, I am curious about why
emphasize "like-minded"?  I feel it might be helpful to provide some
context.   I believe creativity and thinking outside of the box are the
critical mindset to technology in general.  If everyone is thinking the
same or if we want everyone to conform, how effectively can we develop
better and new tools, applications, etc.?

*3. Slide # 3: *
This is the Overview slide.  I recommend removing the last bullet point as
it doesn't provide much substance....and it appears self-promoting or
self-recognition without providing any achievement or evidence.  If my
understanding of Apache is correct, it has become the most respected
technology community globally.  Talented developers around the world take
the pride in contributing their own time and energy in developing Apache
projects and/or initiatives.  Most of them (if not all) are not paid to do
so.  With this said, I feel perhaps we can beef up this slide to add some
international facts so that the new members won't feel it is U.S. Centric
because it is not.

*4. Slide # 4 "Legal Structure of ASF": *
I'm not sure this slide shall be labeled as a legal structure.  It appears
to be an organizational chart. or decision maker organization chart.  What
kind of legal services or legal decisions will each of the roles play on
this slide?

*5. Slide # 5 "The Apache Way": *
This is an introduction slide.  If "THe Apache Way" is driven by the "Six
Principles", then I'd suggest we move slide # 20 "The Six Principles" to be
slide # 6 to support slide # 5.

*6. Slide # 7 through Slide # 12: *
Those slides, in theory, shall be the explanatory slides to explain each of
the Six Principles.

*7. Slide # 8:  *
"If it didn't happen on the mailing list, it didn't happen."  I understand
the importance of putting everything (all communication) on emails.
However, it may not capture another or other expectations where perhaps
Apache organization has some form of record keeping methodology or
initiative where email correspondences are no longer the only way to keep
track of projects, comments, revisions, etc.  Some people's contributions
may not be captured by sending to a mailing list due to various reasons.
 From risk management perspectives, record retention is actually one of the
hot topics in protecting the company and minimizing legal exposure...

*8. Slide # 9: *
Assuming the sequence of the actions is correct, the numbering is a bit
confusing.  Would you consider adding (or moving) the numbers to their
corresponding action?
Example: 1. Consensus    2. Preparing for a Vote . 3. Casting your Vote
 4. Calling a Vote

Additionally, I feel we missed a step here.  Conducting a Vote isn't the
objective.  The objective is to get the votes in order to make a decision.
With this said, would you think perhaps we shall add the following two
steps after "4. Calling a Vote":  5. Consolidating Votes    6. Sharing and
Evaluating Votes   7. Making the Decision

*9. Slide # 12:  *
"Responsibilities and Expectations".  Given the volunteering nature of
Apache, it is very hard to hold each person accountable the same way as we
normally would do in a profit organization...Most volunteers have their
busy full-time jobs.  Hence, sometimes, I can imagine some contributors may
wear different hats and some volunteers may not be able to commit to a
tight deadline given some circumstances.  I would suggest not to put the
responsibilities in such a detailed way.  Perhaps a more general conceptual
description of each role would be sufficient?

*10. Slide # 13 through Slide # 16: "Apache Citizenship for Everyone".*
I'd like to suggest we say "Apache Citizenship" (remove "for everyone")
No matter how good a process document is designed, communicated or
implemented, it won't matter unless the people will follow and execute.  To
build a sustainable company or a community, the key is to establish a
healthy, safe, respectful, and empowering culture.  People are the foremost
key to any success although having an effective process and documentation
are also important.  With this said, I would highly recommend you to move
these slides to your earlier presentation.  Perhaps right after the slide
of "Mission of Apache"?

*11. Slide # 17 and # 18:  *
 I think these two slides shall belong to slide # 19 "Graveyard Slides"
because they provide additional information (other resources)
Currently, there is only one slide # 20 under the "Graveyard Slides".   As
mentioned above, the slide # 20 "The Six Apache Principles" is relevant and
a key slide, which probably drives most of the Apache projects and
initiatives.  I think Slide # 20 shall be moved up to become slide # 6
(right after the current slide # 5).

In short, perhaps we can design this presentation deck with the following
structure:
1. Cover page
2. Table of Content
   (1) Background (or History) Apache (accomplishments, awards,
recognition, etc.)
   (2) Present Apache (# of projects, # of members, # of countries, etc.)
   (3) Future Apache (Mission Statement, Goals/Objectives, etc.)
   (4) Apache Culture (or Citizenship)
   (5) Apache Six Principles
   (6) Appendix (websites, books, articles, etc)

Thank you for your time spent in reviewing such a long email.

And thank you for putting together such a nice introduction deck, which I
have found it very informative and helpful as I'm new to Apache.  I'm sure
this presentation will be appreciated by many future new members in the
years to come.

Happy Holidays to you and everyone on this mailing list!

Sincerely,
Haoning
(Haoning Richter)
Email: haoy96@gmail.com