Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/02/18 14:22:55 UTC

[FYI] Cocoon 0.9

I was looking for some old pictures in my archive CDs and found the very
first release of Apache Cocoon, so old that it never left my computer,
until now where you can find it here:

 http://www.apache.org/~stefano/archeology/Cocoon0.9.zip

It's 50Kb big and the creation date says 8 February 1999.

Impressive that in three years, the Cocoon distribution managed to move
from 50Kb to well over 18Mb.

The code is utterly useless for any purpose since almost all the code is
obsolete and the libraries it used don't exist anymore, but I placed it
there just to show how powerful OSS development can be.

Enjoy :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [FYI] Cocoon 0.9

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Paulo Gaspar wrote:
> <provocative>
> Yeah!
>
> OSS development can produce monsters too and does it faster and cheaper
> than the traditional "commercial" methods!
> </provocative>

Keep in mind that 50Kb is the size of the Cocoon jar.

The current size of the cocoon jar (minus all the support libraries) is
~800Kb.  So it's grown by a factor of 16, not 368.

> =:o)
>
> Have fun,
> Paulo

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

RE: [FYI] Cocoon 0.9

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
<provocative>

Re: [FYI] Cocoon 0.9

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Stefano wrote:
>

> > At that time there were four independent projects doing server side XSLT
> > (that I know of, at least)
> >
> > 1) docproc
> > 2) javalobby's project (don't remember the name, but was used to
> > generate the javalobby home page)
> > 3) IBM alphaworks XSLT servlet (later discontinued)
> > 4) Cocoon
> >
> > So Cocoon has never been the first to do this, but the first to
> > introduce the notion of XML pipelines on the server side :)
> >

> Yes indeed. And given the attention Cocoon has been receiving during the past few weeks, it seems it was the right
> choice to keep tracking Cocoon instead of the others :-))

Shameless plug, but seriously expect *much* more attention in the future
:)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: [FYI] Cocoon 0.9

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Stefano wrote:

> At that time there were four independent projects doing server side XSLT
> (that I know of, at least)
>
> 1) docproc
> 2) javalobby's project (don't remember the name, but was used to
> generate the javalobby home page)
> 3) IBM alphaworks XSLT servlet (later discontinued)
> 4) Cocoon
>
> So Cocoon has never been the first to do this, but the first to
> introduce the notion of XML pipelines on the server side :)

Yes indeed. And given the attention Cocoon has been receiving during the past few weeks, it seems it was the right
choice to keep tracking Cocoon instead of the others :-))

</Steven>

Re: [FYI] Cocoon 0.9

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> [...]