Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by dieter-erich <di...@meduniwien.ac.at> on 2017/04/29 13:57:01 UTC

guacamole 0.8.3 "invalid login"

Hi,
   I just subscribed to this forum because I got completely stuck: Having
installed tomcat8 and guacamole-0.8.3 from the ubunu-16.04 repository
without major problems on my old 32 bit laptop I have spent hours trying to
find out why I always get "invalid login" when entering the test credentials
below on the webpage: http://localhost:8080/guacamole.

I have:
1) defined userid "tomcat" password "tomcat" in
/etc/tomcat8/tomcat-users.xml:

----------------------------------
2) the same userid and password in /etc/guacamole/user-mapping.xml
 <!--
    <authorize username="tomcat" password="tomcat">
        <protocol>vnc</protocol>
        <param name="hostname">localhost</param>
        <param name="port">5901</param>
        <param name="password">tomcat</param>
    </authorize>
---------------------------------------
3) I have started turbovncserver with port 5901
--------------------------------------
4) In /var/log/tomcat8/catalina.out I have:
WARNING: Authentication attempt from 127.0.0.1 for user "tomcat" failed.
Apr 29, 2017 3:19:25 PM
org.glyptodon.guacamole.net.basic.AuthenticatingHttpServlet warn
WARNING: Permission denied: Not authenticated
-------------------------------------
Everything seems fine except from that I cannot login. How can I find out
what is wrong? Is there any test to run? Is a file at the wrong position?
Does guacamole not find any of the configuration files?

Thank you so much for help,
D-E

in /var/log/tomcat8/catalina.out:

Re: guacamole 0.8.3 "invalid login"

Posted by dieter-erich <di...@meduniwien.ac.at>.
Hi Mike,

     the following solved the problem:

 > citation DRC (TurboVNCusers)

I generally recommend noVNC over Guacamole for HTML 5 viewing, and I'm
trying to secure funding to add the RFB flow control extensions to noVNC
so that it will perform better on high-latency connections (it will
still never be as fast as Java or native, however.)

As far as Guac, I'm not sure why it's reporting 2.0 as the VeNCrypt
version.  It may mean 0.2, which is the version of VeNCrypt that we
support (also the version that TigerVNC supports.)  To globally disable
VeNCrypt in the server, edit /etc/turbovncserver-security.conf and set
permitted-security-types such that it only allows non-VeNCrypt security
types.  Example:

     permitted-security-types = VNC, OTP, UnixLogin, None

will make the server behave like TurboVNC 2.0.x.  If you want to do this
just for one instance of the server, then you can start it with an
appropriate -SecurityTypes argument, such as:

     -SecurityTypes VNC,OTP,UnixLogin,None

> end citation------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am 07.05.2017 um 23:50 schrieb Mike Jumper [via Apache Guacamole
(incubating) - Users]:

Posted by dieter-erich <di...@meduniwien.ac.at>.
Thanks! I have posted the question in the turbvnc user group and shall
let you know! Dieter

Dieter Blaas,
Max F. Perutz Laboratories
Medical University of Vienna,
Inst. Med. Biochem., Vienna Biocenter (VBC),
Dr. Bohr Gasse 9/3,
A-1030 Vienna, Austria,
Tel: 0043 1 4277 61630,
Fax: 0043 1 4277 9616,
e-mail: dieter.blaas@meduniwien.ac.at

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 11:41 PM, dieter-erich <dieter.blaas@meduniwien.ac.at

Posted by dieter-erich <di...@meduniwien.ac.at>.
[...]

Am 02.05.2017 um 03:06 schrieb Mike Jumper [via Apache Guacamole
(incubating) - Users]:

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by dieter-erich <di...@meduniwien.ac.at>.
Hi Mike,

     After modifying  /etc/guacamole/user-mapping.xml IT WORKS! Thank
you so much for your quick and most helpful answer!

1) I preferred installing from the repository because I felt it more
easy and I only later found the very complete description of how to
install the newer version from source.

_Can I still do this? Will it overwrite the older version or do I first
have to uninstall the old one?_

2) I defined a user for tomcat out of despair because I believed that
its lacking might be a reason for my problem. Now I understand that this
is not necessary

3) I completely ignored xml synthax and believed that the example would
work as such and did not need to be modified.

_4) I still cannot login into VNC and, when hitting 'Default' it tries
to initalize but then I get the message: 'Error initializing VNC client'
_

<authorize username="tomcat" password="tomcat">
         <protocol>vnc</protocol>
         <param name="hostname">localhost</param>
         <param name="port">5901</param>
         <param name="password">xyz</param>
     </authorize>

best, Dieter

Am 29.04.2017 um 19:25 schrieb Mike Jumper [via Apache Guacamole
(incubating) - Users]:

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 6:57 AM, dieter-erich <dieter.blaas@meduniwien.ac.at