Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Steve Garcia <SG...@qrs.com> on 2003/09/27 02:45:30 UTC

Volunteering

Hello there - I've been using Maven on and off for the last year, and I've
recently downloaded the source and been playing around with it on my local
machine.  Thus far I have been impressed with Maven, and I'm really excited
about where it can go in the future.

Based on what I've seen, I am interested in helping build upon Maven going
forward.  I have some general questions about this..

1) I understand that 1.0 is near being complete.  Is that true?  (To that
extent I don't know if I want to get involved in the last stages of this
project because it will take too much ramp up time for me to be an effective
developer.)

2) I'm really interested in fixing/refactoring/adding to the core API
(org.apache.maven.*), is there some roadmap indicating some major tasks
going forward after 1.0 that involves work there?  I have read the roadmap
at maven.apache.org and there are some good ideas there.  Are there others?

3) I'm really curious about maven-new.  I've read about as much as I can
find on the internet, basically from the Maven-Wiki site.  The big question
I have is whether Maven New is supposed to be backwards compatible with
older Maven releases.  Is that a requirement for Maven-New?  How far along
is the development?

4) I really don't know much about Jelly, Werkz, or some of the other
specific API's like ClassWorlds.  I wonder how that affects how much I can
contribute.

Overall, I would love to see Maven replace Ant as the build tool of choice.
Ant is great, and it will never die, but I think Maven takes Ant to a whole
another level.  Maven is fantastic for simple tasks like compiling, jar,
javadoc, and is even great for more complex tasks.  For instance, the idea
of managing artifacts in a local or remote repository (opposed to a source
control repository) is really a fantastic idea.  I just love that concept.

I've got a ton of questions about Maven, but I don't want to bog you down.
I'm just looking for a little advice or direction on ways that I can help,
or how to get started.  I have to be honest and say I don't know how much
time I can dedicate to Maven, it's really up in the air right now.

Thanks for your help, Steve