Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jean willman ward <je...@hotmail.com> on 2017/02/18 09:45:17 UTC

Help Please!!!!

Hi, please can you help me? We were having problems with the computer - so using WINDOWS 8.1 FOR SENIORS AND DUMMIES (a book which is supposed to help people solve computer problems at home) we carried out the instructions REFRESH A MISBEHAVING COMPUTER that said it would not remove any APPS installed but it did!

After doing this we found that all the Desktop items (put on using Apache Word Pad Spreadsheet) were still there but when we clicked on them we got cryptic wording and figures (which looks like programming script or something) but are unable to get the correct script back with writing in English.

Unfortunately I do not have any copies of the info - all my Address Lists are amongst these 'scrambled' lists - please can you help me get them back?

Since Refreshing, per Dummies Book, I lost Apache and have had to re-install it?
Regards
Jean

Re: Help Please!!!!

Posted by Pedro <pe...@openmailbox.org>.
Hi Jean

> Hi, please can you help me? We were having problems with the computer
> - so using WINDOWS 8.1 FOR SENIORS AND DUMMIES (a book which is
> supposed to help people solve computer problems at home) we carried
> out the instructions REFRESH A MISBEHAVING COMPUTER that said it would
> not remove any APPS installed but it did!

Maybe it didn't. Possibly it just reset file associations (a list that
tells the computer to open one type of file such as e.g. a spreadsheet
with Calc)

> After doing this we found that all the Desktop items (put on using
> Apache Word Pad Spreadsheet) were still there but when we clicked on
> them we got cryptic wording and figures (which looks like programming
> script or something) but are unable to get the correct script back
> with writing in English.

This means that it is opening the files with the wrong program. It
doesn't mean that the file is destroyed.

> Unfortunately I do not have any copies of the info - all my Address
> Lists are amongst these 'scrambled' lists - please can you help me get
> them back?

Do not worry. Your files seem to be intact. They are just opening with
the wrong program.

> Since Refreshing, per Dummies Book, I lost Apache and have had to
> re-install it?

That is probably the simplest way to solve this. If that doesn't fix it,
feel free to email me with more details.

Kind regards,
Pedro