Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ISE <is...@tao.ca> on 2002/03/01 17:57:18 UTC

writing log files under different mode

Hi,

Is it possible to instruct apache to write a log file under a different mode
such as ug=rwx?

Thanks,

Michael Caplan
Institute for Social Ecology
http://www.social-ecology.org/

1118 Maple Hill Road
Plainfield, VT, 05667 USA

Re: writing log files under different mode

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
> Perhaps I don't know enough about *nix environments, but the log
> files are
> set with the following perms: rw-r--r--  For my purpose, I need to
> run a
> script that runs under a different account than root (I don't have root
> permissions) that writes to the file.

The log-files are owned by whoever *starts* apache. This is often root,
but can be any user if the ports used are greater than 1024. They get
the permissions as defined by the umask of that user (do "$ umask" to
see what they're set to). Either change umask ($ man umask for details)
or, if the files already exist, just change them with "chmod" - probably
you want to make them group-writeable (usually root has group "other")
then make your user a member of "other". Note that if the files are
owned by root, you need root access to do any of this - otherwise,
forget it.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: writing log files under different mode

Posted by Bill -OSX- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
"Writes to the file..."  LOL, Think about that echoing down the
corridor  :)

Seriously, what does root, there where you are, say about this?
Did you ask him/her/it?  Honestly, if you change those logs, how
can you ever trust (oops, there's that word again) them there logs?

UserID 0:  write protection is another one of those side effects of
security.  BTW - why not COPY the file to another for your own
purposes?  Must you change the original?

On Friday, March 1, 2002, at 12:16  PM, ISE wrote:

> Perhaps I don't know enough about *nix environments, but the log
> files are
> set with the following perms: rw-r--r--  For my purpose, I need to
> run a
> script that runs under a different account than root (I don't have root
> permissions) that writes to the file.

Anyone missing their towel?
_Sx____________________
  ('>    -Sx- IUDICIUM
  //\   Have Computer -
  v_/_    Will Hack...

RE: writing log files under different mode

Posted by ISE <is...@tao.ca>.
> Huh?  You do realize?  Apache kicks off as root, so the logs can be
written anyway root wants them ...

Posted by Bill -OSX- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.

On Friday, March 1, 2002, at 11:57  AM, ISE wrote:

> such as ug=rwx?

	Unless you are running you're own pirated copy on a higher than
1023 port?  So many unknowns here...

Same ol' same ol...
  ('>    -Sx- IUDICIUM
  //\   Have Computer -