Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> on 2020/12/30 13:58:32 UTC

Build windows-jdk15

The Windows JDK 15 instance in jenkins seems irredeemably flaky. It
fails more often than not for reasons that have nothing to do with the
code being tested.

As JDK 15 is not a long term support release, and has only minimal
adoption, can we simply turn off the Windows JDK 15 build?

Personally, I'd love to turn off all JDK 15 and 16 builds, but Windows
JDK 15 is by far the worst.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Great, thanks!

I expect that one of the other Jenkins jobs overwrites JAVA_HOME, not knowing it effects all following jobs.

Robert
On 31-12-2020 09:24:07, Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org> wrote:
Here you go: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21244

Already opened a week ago when Hervé tried to merge a PR and suddenly the
build failed.

Disabling JDK15 might be a valid solution if they don't react soon.

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
From my experience, if we discard this issues now, on our infrastructure,
we would need to pay more when end users start to complying that one of our
maven plugins fails randomly.

We added new java versions to early test new java versions with our
products so there will be chance that bug can be spotted and fixed earlier.

For now our test policy says to test it with Java (7), 8, 11 and latest mid
term supported version plus latest EA version.

Could you share what exact project fails on windows and what error you
observe? Is there any difference to JVM build number between Linux and
windows?

Recently i found one issue on our Maven Core project that started to fail
in unit tests with java 16/17 - you may observe something smilar.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7054

Sylwester

śr., 30 gru 2020, 22:42 użytkownik Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com>.
Better to know the issues and slowly fix them then get hit with a load
of issues blocking users.

Unlike the 1st 20 years of Java where deprecated didn't really mean
anything at all... Since Java 9 the guidelines are 1 release with
deprecation warning and then things can be
removed/dropped/delete/refactored in the following release. So we got
use to probably ignoring those warnings and we probably now need to
pay attention.

I know I would prefer refactoring code with warnings instead of
refactoring code with errors.

Also in 6 months time Java 18 EA will be branched from the Java 17
Release Candidate... Potentially it could drop support for bytecode
version 54.0 and older as why have support for more than 2 LTS
versions (11 and 17)...

John

John

AW: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@headcrashing.eu>.

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 11:38 PM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> What's you analysis?
> Did you inform INFRA?
> If we have issues with these versions, most likely Maven users will have to.

The issues all seem to be in the test infrastructure, and have nothing
to do with the Maven code itself. While it's conceivable for a build
to find a bug that only surfaces on one platform/JDK combination, this
is not what we see in practice. Most bugs trigger in a particular JDK
XOR on a particular platform. I'm not sure I've ever noticed a genuine
Maven bug that triggered in only one build.

Diagnosing these is extremely challenging given the Jenkins UI. It is
very hard to find the logs for any particular job. They are very
hidden.

Various people have reported and fixed these INFRA issues before. It
doesn't stick. I prefer fewer, more reliable CI builds.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
Looks like the magic words are "pipeline steps". Why that isn't linked
directly from the failures and why one has to go hunting through
inobviously named menus, I don't know; but that's a Jenkins issue, not
a Maven one. I do think it would be worth revisiting our choice of CI
servers one of these days. Jenkins has fallen far behind the state of
the art, but that's a subject for another thread.

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 11:48 AM Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As long as we have windows builds and jdk15+ builds I guess one can reduce the flaky combinations but it would still be interesting to see what’s the problem is, in the pipeline steps view you see the failed step
>
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/2/flowGraphTable/
>
> And it’s console log
>
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/2/execution/node/315/log/
>
> I complains about a unexpected dependency tree (this does not really look platform-version specific, maybe more a repository issue?)
>
> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
> ________________________________

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
INFRA made some changes and so far Windows + JDK15 looks stable again.

The new issue might be Linux + Java 16-ea
On 6-1-2021 09:44:19, Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org> wrote:
If this happens again,
Please add it to the ticket as requested by infra. Link below.

Thanks
- Ben

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21244?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=17259498#comment-17259498

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.
If this happens again,

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.
Happy new year everyone!

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
And the next run everything passed without any code changes:

https://ci-builds.apache.org/blue/organizations/jenkins/Maven%2Fmaven-box%2Fmaven-dependency-plugin/detail/null/3/pipeline

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 6:04 PM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> Have you tried https://ci-builds.apache.org/blue/organizations/jenkins/Maven%2Fmaven-box%2Fmaven-dependency-plugin/detail/null/2/pipeline ?
> It shows the output of the failing IT. It expects verbose information, but it is missing.
>

> Robert
> On 31-12-2020 13:29:54, Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure we're looking at the same thing.
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/
> shows three runs of the same most recently committed code. The first
> two failed flakily on different instances and passed on all other
> instances. The third passed on all instances. Master is also passing
> and has been for the last few days/commits.Where are you seeing a
> failure?
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:13 PM Robert Scholte wrote:
> >
> > Looks like the IT for is failing MDEP-644[1].
> > Elliotte, you closed this one, but I'm missing some important information in this ticket: a link to the commit.
> > Now it is hard to figure out if there's a SNAPSHOT issue in play.
> > You see these kind of failures if branches of a SNAPSHOT dependency use the same version.
> > This would be my first guess.
> > But the failure is correct and is most likely unrelated to INFRA, but an issue with either the POM or the IT.
> >
> > Robert
> >

> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MDEP-644
> > On 31-12-2020 12:48:26, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > As long as we have windows builds and jdk15+ builds I guess one can reduce the flaky combinations but it would still be interesting to see what’s the problem is, in the pipeline steps view you see the failed step
> >
> > https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/2/flowGraphTable/
> >
> > And it’s console log
> >
> > https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/2/execution/node/315/log/
> >
> > I complains about a unexpected dependency tree (this does not really look platform-version specific, maybe more a repository issue?)
> >
> > Gruss
> > Bernd
> > --
> > http://bernd.eckenfels.net
> > ________________________________

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Have you tried https://ci-builds.apache.org/blue/organizations/jenkins/Maven%2Fmaven-box%2Fmaven-dependency-plugin/detail/null/2/pipeline ?
It shows the output of the failing IT. It expects verbose information, but it is missing.

Robert
On 31-12-2020 13:29:54, Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> wrote:
I'm not sure we're looking at the same thing.
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/
shows three runs of the same most recently committed code. The first
two failed flakily on different instances and passed on all other
instances. The third passed on all instances. Master is also passing
and has been for the last few days/commits.Where are you seeing a
failure?

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:13 PM Robert Scholte wrote:

> Looks like the IT for is failing MDEP-644[1].
> Elliotte, you closed this one, but I'm missing some important information in this ticket: a link to the commit.
> Now it is hard to figure out if there's a SNAPSHOT issue in play.
> You see these kind of failures if branches of a SNAPSHOT dependency use the same version.
> This would be my first guess.
> But the failure is correct and is most likely unrelated to INFRA, but an issue with either the POM or the IT.
>
> Robert
>

> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MDEP-644
> On 31-12-2020 12:48:26, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As long as we have windows builds and jdk15+ builds I guess one can reduce the flaky combinations but it would still be interesting to see what’s the problem is, in the pipeline steps view you see the failed step
>
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/2/flowGraphTable/
>
> And it’s console log
>
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/2/execution/node/315/log/
>
> I complains about a unexpected dependency tree (this does not really look platform-version specific, maybe more a repository issue?)
>
> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
> ________________________________

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:13 PM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> Looks like the IT for is failing MDEP-644[1].
> Elliotte, you closed this one, but I'm missing some important information in this ticket: a link to the commit.
> Now it is hard to figure out if there's a SNAPSHOT issue in play.
> You see these kind of failures if branches of a SNAPSHOT dependency use the same version.
> This would be my first guess.
> But the failure is correct and is most likely unrelated to INFRA, but an issue with either the POM or the IT.
>
> Robert
>

> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MDEP-644
> On 31-12-2020 12:48:26, Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As long as we have windows builds and jdk15+ builds I guess one can reduce the flaky combinations but it would still be interesting to see what’s the problem is, in the pipeline steps view you see the failed step
>
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/2/flowGraphTable/
>
> And it’s console log
>
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/2/execution/node/315/log/
>
> I complains about a unexpected dependency tree (this does not really look platform-version specific, maybe more a repository issue?)
>
> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
> ________________________________

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Build windows-jdk15

There are many others. Nothing changed between the three runs. First
Windows JDK 15 failed. Then Windows JDK 7 failed. Then they all
passed. No code changes were made between the runs. If there's a way
to see the logs from the failed runs, it's far from obvious to me.

Flaky build infrastructure is dangerous because it teaches developers
to ignore the CI.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 11:38 PM Robert Scholte wrote:

> What's you analysis?
> Did you inform INFRA?
> If we have issues with these versions, most likely Maven users will have to.
>
> We've seen this in the past too and I think all the time I'm been able to bring the builds back to blue.
> Disabling would be avoiding or ignoring the problem.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
> On 30-12-2020 14:59:16, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> The Windows JDK 15 instance in jenkins seems irredeemably flaky. It
> fails more often than not for reasons that have nothing to do with the
> code being tested.
>
> As JDK 15 is not a long term support release, and has only minimal
> adoption, can we simply turn off the Windows JDK 15 build?
>
> Personally, I'd love to turn off all JDK 15 and 16 builds, but Windows
> JDK 15 is by far the worst.
>
> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold
> elharo@ibiblio.org

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Build windows-jdk15

There are many others. Nothing changed between the three runs. First
Windows JDK 15 failed. Then Windows JDK 7 failed. Then they all
passed. No code changes were made between the runs. If there's a way
to see the logs from the failed runs, it's far from obvious to me.

Flaky build infrastructure is dangerous because it teaches developers
to ignore the CI.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 11:38 PM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> What's you analysis?
> Did you inform INFRA?
> If we have issues with these versions, most likely Maven users will have to.
>
> We've seen this in the past too and I think all the time I'm been able to bring the builds back to blue.
> Disabling would be avoiding or ignoring the problem.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
> On 30-12-2020 14:59:16, Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> wrote:
> The Windows JDK 15 instance in jenkins seems irredeemably flaky. It
> fails more often than not for reasons that have nothing to do with the
> code being tested.
>
> As JDK 15 is not a long term support release, and has only minimal
> adoption, can we simply turn off the Windows JDK 15 build?
>
> Personally, I'd love to turn off all JDK 15 and 16 builds, but Windows
> JDK 15 is by far the worst.
>
> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold
> elharo@ibiblio.org

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Build windows-jdk15

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
Here's one example:

https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dependency-plugin/job/null/

There are many others. Nothing changed between the three runs. First
Windows JDK 15 failed. Then Windows JDK 7 failed. Then they all
passed. No code changes were made between the runs. If there's a way
to see the logs from the failed runs, it's far from obvious to me.

Flaky build infrastructure is dangerous because it teaches developers
to ignore the CI.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 11:38 PM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> What's you analysis?
> Did you inform INFRA?
> If we have issues with these versions, most likely Maven users will have to.
>
> We've seen this in the past too and I think all the time I'm been able to bring the builds back to blue.
> Disabling would be avoiding or ignoring the problem.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
> On 30-12-2020 14:59:16, Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> wrote:
> The Windows JDK 15 instance in jenkins seems irredeemably flaky. It
> fails more often than not for reasons that have nothing to do with the
> code being tested.
>
> As JDK 15 is not a long term support release, and has only minimal
> adoption, can we simply turn off the Windows JDK 15 build?
>
> Personally, I'd love to turn off all JDK 15 and 16 builds, but Windows
> JDK 15 is by far the worst.
>
> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold
> elharo@ibiblio.org