Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2021/09/30 16:54:18 UTC

Proposal: drop or move French versions of developer guide

Hello all

In the next few days before SIS formal release (if approved), I plan to
work on documentation. It would include trying to make the SIS developer
guide [1] a little bit more useful. However maintaining both a French
and an English is a big effort. The two versions are already
de-synchronized, and synchronizing them would take many hours.

Consequently I propose to drop the French version of developer guide.
The commit message and JIRA task would make possible to extract those
files from history if a volunteer appears for maintaining those versions.

In addition I propose to remove also the French version of FAQ [2]. It
is much less effort to maintain, but still significant.

An alternative to removal could be to move all French pages in a new
https://sis.apache.org/fr/ directory, remove most of the links from the
main web site, and make clear that those pages are unmaintained.

Any thoughts?

     Martin

[1] https://sis.staged.apache.org/book/index.html
[2] https://sis.staged.apache.org/faq_fr.html

Re: Proposal: drop or move French versions of developer guide

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Bruno and Johann

Thanks. Based on both feedbacks, I will move the French material in a
single sub-directory, remove the automatic redirection to French
developer guide when the browser language is French, and apply text as
suggested by Johann:

> *Community translations*
> /Documentation, FAQ, tutorials translated may not be up to date, refer
> to the English version in case of inconsistency./
>
> - French (FAQ, Tutorials), last update : 01/10/21

     Martin

Re: Proposal: drop or move French versions of developer guide

Posted by Johann Sorel <jo...@geomatys.com>.
Hello,

I think we should keep the french version and place it in a different
directory.
Perhaps adding a text at the beginning : 'Last update : 01/10/21'

New contributors and volunteers often start with simple tasks. Having
them translate/update
the tutorials/faq in their own language is a good way to start learning
SIS and to contribute on the same day.

I'm also for keeping a single link on the main web site, would be like :

*Community translations*
/Documentation, FAQ, tutorials translated may not be up to date, refer
to the English version in case of inconsistency./

- French (FAQ, Tutorials), last update : 01/10/21

Johann Sorel

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,