Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2009/02/06 15:26:37 UTC

[2.x] Sample docs/READMEs was - Re: [PROPOSAL] Tuscany Documentation

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 8:15 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Luciano Resende wrote:

>>> Haaa, I think I got your question now, we would have something (but
>>> probably not exactly) like this :
>>>
>>> http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html
>>>
>>> Or just a link on our website pointing to the wiki documentation
>>>

>> Excellent example! I like their organization. Notice for example that the
>> developers guide follows this kind of structure for the HTML pages:
>> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/devguide/
>> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/
>> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/devguide/
>>
>> This is similar to the idea I prefered above:

>> --
>> Thanks, Dan Becker
>>

> +1, would be really good if we can have the doc versioned like that on the
> website.
>
>    ...ant

I like Luciano's proposal. I'm mulling over the idea of putting the sample
documentation up there also as it would be a lot easier to edit and clearer
to read. We did have HTML docs a long time ago but shied away from them for
lowest common denominator reasons IIRC. I think we should revisit this
decision.

If samples pages were up on Confluence is there an easy way that the HTML
for these pages could be extracted and added to svn or even just to the
samples as the distribution is built?

Simon

Re: [2.x] Sample docs/READMEs was - Re: [PROPOSAL] Tuscany Documentation

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Sorry I wasn't clear.

snip....

> putting the sample
> > documentation up there also

= doing it in confluence

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I like Luciano's proposal. I'm mulling over the idea of putting the sample
> documentation up there also as it would be a lot easier to edit and clearer
> to read. We did have HTML docs a long time ago but shied away from them for
> lowest common denominator reasons IIRC. I think we should revisit this
> decision.

I don' t think we want to go back to author our content using xml/svn,
at least not me... Confluence is much easier.

> If samples pages were up on Confluence is there an easy way that the HTML
> for these pages could be extracted and added to svn or even just to the
> samples as the distribution is built?

The documentation pages get exported to html just as our website. That
might be the snapshot we want to put in svn during the release.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk