Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/19 11:36:56 UTC

Caching and spooling (Was: microsling user feedback)

Hi,

On 10/19/07, Philipp Koch <ph...@day.com> wrote:
> the way how the current "big" sling does spool static resources out of
> the repository is very nice and should somehow (as suggested by felix
> (kind of spool servlet) added to the micro sling "product" as well.

What's the advantage of spooling here? Is it the performance
improvement or are the functional benefits? In both cases I'd rather
like to see the issues addressed by the underlying repository rather
than by an extra layer of caching.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Caching and spooling (Was: microsling user feedback)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 10/19/07, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/07, Philipp Koch <ph...@day.com> wrote:
> > the way how the current "big" sling does spool static resources out of
> > the repository is very nice and should somehow (as suggested by felix
> > (kind of spool servlet) added to the micro sling "product" as well.
>
> What's the advantage of spooling here? Is it the performance
> improvement or are the functional benefits? In both cases I'd rather
> like to see the issues addressed by the underlying repository rather
> than by an extra layer of caching.

Hmm, just read the other thread and seems like the spooling here is
just about pumping the resources directly to the client instead of to
a separate cache. My mistake. :-)

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
> On 10/19/07, Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com> wrote:
> > > What's the advantage of spooling here? Is it the performance
> > > improvement or are the functional benefits? In both cases I'd rather
> > > like to see the issues addressed by the underlying repository rather
> > > than by an extra layer of caching.
> >
> > where is no extra layer of caching here. by spooling we mean: read
> > from the input stream from the data of the repository, and write it to
> > the output stream of the response.
>
> The use of "spooling" as a term is a bit confusing, see for example
> the Wikipedia definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooling):
>
>     In computer science, spooling refers to process of communicating data to
>     another program by placing it in a temporary working area, where the other
>     program can access it at some later point in time.
>
> I'd rather use "streaming" for the process of passing the data
> directly to the client without spooling (!) it first somewhere on disk
> or in memory.

thanks for the clarification. streaming t's a rather general name for
writing stuff to a stream.
however, when i think if spooling, i have a picture of a wool spool or
a old-taperecorder spool in mind, that gets unwired from the first
spool and wired on the second spool (with no temp buffer of course
:-). and that's what really happens. so i don't think the term
'spooling'  is so wrong.

regards, toby

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97

Re: Caching and spooling (Was: microsling user feedback)

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Freitag, den 19.10.2007, 12:54 +0300 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> I'd rather use "streaming" for the process of passing the data
> directly to the client without spooling (!) it first somewhere on disk
> or in memory.

I completely agree with you and we should probably use the correct
english term instead of the german-english incorrect term. Hence, let's
do a StreamServlet :-) which BTW could also do such things as checking
the last modification time and setting the content length and content
type (in case of nt:resource).

Regards
Felix

Re: Caching and spooling (Was: microsling user feedback)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
> On 10/19/07, Philipp Koch <ph...@day.com> wrote:
> > the way how the current "big" sling does spool static resources out of
> > the repository is very nice and should somehow (as suggested by felix
> > (kind of spool servlet) added to the micro sling "product" as well.
>
> What's the advantage of spooling here? Is it the performance
> improvement or are the functional benefits? In both cases I'd rather
> like to see the issues addressed by the underlying repository rather
> than by an extra layer of caching.

where is no extra layer of caching here. by spooling we mean: read
from the input stream from the data of the repository, and write it to
the output stream of the response.

apache commons-io calls that: copy(InputStream, OutputStream)