Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Sining Ma <si...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/25 21:31:26 UTC

Question about function SimpleConsumer.getOffsetsBefore

I have a question about function getOffsetsBefore() in class SimpleConsumer.

I am not sure about the input value of maxNumOffsets.

If I set this value to a small number, I cannot get enough valid Offset
values.
If I set to a big number like 10,000, I think this function will consume a
lot of time.

Right now I set it to 10, but I am not sure if this is a good value.
Is there any advice how to set the value of maxNumOffsets?

Sining Ma

Re: Question about function SimpleConsumer.getOffsetsBefore

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
The best value for maxNumOffsets really depends on your use case, but like
I said commonly it is set to 1. I don't think it will take long even if you
set it to a high value. It is bounded by the number of segments for a log.

Thanks,
Neha

Posted by Sining Ma <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.