Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sergey Vladimirov <vl...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/01 17:39:18 UTC

What if commiters are not available or have not time to project?

Good day!

What will happen with project, for example, FTPServer, if nobody of
commiters is available or have time to neither apply patches nor fix bugs?

What can other people - not commiters - can do in this situation, if they
have time to work with project?

--
Sergey Vladimirov

Re: What if commiters are not available or have not time to project?

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sergey Vladimirov wrote:

> What will happen with project, for example, FTPServer, if nobody of
> commiters is available or have time to neither apply patches nor fix bugs?
>
> What can other people - not commiters - can do in this situation, if they
> have time to work with project?

We had a similar situation in the WS XML-RPC project. Three people
(including me) offered to take over maintenance. The main problem was,
that the original project developers haven't even been available to vote
for us. The resolution was a vote on the parent projects (Apache WS) PMC.

The above example was (IMO) an easy case, because

- we could clearly demonstrate both our interest and the lack of
   response by referring to several threads on the xml-rpc mailing
   lists
- the three people have already been committers to nearby
   projects (Jakarta or Apache WS); in other words, we enjoyed a
   basic feeling of trust
- it wasn't just a single person, so it could easily be seen
   as community driven

To return to your question: What shows, that the situation is indeed as
you describe it (and not just a matter of your personal opinion). Who
and how many "other people" are interested?

Note, that you always have the choice to create a branch on sf.net. (Of
course, the branch must not use a name like "Apache FTPServer", or the
like, but it should even be fine to keep the package names.) Indeed, I
have maintained a branch of XML-RPC for some time at another location,
before having the permissions to add the branch to CVS.

Jochen

Re: What if commiters are not available or have not time to project?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > Sergey Vladimirov wrote:
> > > Good day!
> > >
> > > What will happen with project, for example, FTPServer, if nobody of
> > > commiters is available or have time to neither apply patches nor fix bugs?
> > >
> > > What can other people - not commiters - can do in this situation, if they
> > > have time to work with project?
> >
> > Start behaving like a commiter.  You can post patches and discuss the
> > project on the relevant lists.
>
> +1.

These are great questions Sergey. It is all solved by
participation and community building.

The FTPServer project PMC needs to encourage people to
participate and notice that some are obviously committed to
the project. After a comfortable time has passed and they
are still committed, and demonstrate that they can repsect
and work with others, then vote for them to become new
project PMC members/committers.

As the project grows there will be more committers and so
more chance that patches will be applied promptly.

It is the responsibility of your PMC to be on the lookout
for new people.

Everyone has different ideas on what it means to become
a committer. Some guidelines are at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
and also look at each top-level project's site for
their project guidelines.

If patches are not applied in reasonable time, then this
is a sign that community health is not good. Even the
well-established projects can suffer from this at times.

If the situation continues then the incubating project
is heading into dangerous territory. Anyone can start
ringing bells as Hen describes below.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.