Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Michael Mealling <mi...@neonym.net> on 2002/02/15 15:39:18 UTC

Does jetspeed really work with tomcat 4.0.2?

Getting desperate I went back to first principles:

I've gone 100% vanilla: 100% unmodified tomcat4.0.2 with the binary 1.3a2
version of the jetspeed war using all of the defaults. I simply dropped
the war into the webapps directory and ran $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh.

jetspeed.log and catalina.out make it seem as though everything started
up fine. But when the first page is viewed, jetspeed only displays
the login, banner and left hand side navigation bar. jetspeed.log
says this:

[Thu Feb 14 19:59:47 EST 2002] -- ERROR -- Error rendering Velocity template: screens/html/Home.vm: Invocation of method 'getPane' in  class org.apache.jetspeed.util.template.JetspeedTool threw exception class java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError[Thu Feb 14 19:59:47 EST 2002] -- ERROR -- Error rendering Velocity template: screens/Error: Unable to find resource 'screens/Error'
[Thu Feb 14 19:59:47 EST 2002] -- ERROR --
	Exception:  org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Error rendering Velocity template: screens/Error: Unable to find resource 'screens/Error'

So far the only discussion on the list concerning tomcat4.0.2 is the
xml parser/classloader issue. So I moved common/lib/xerces.jar to server/lib.
webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/lib/xerces_1_3_1.jar is left as is. When I do
that catalina.out has this:

StandardContext[/jetspeed]: Servlet /jetspeed threw load() exception: javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet jetspeed threw exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet jetspeed threw exception
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:935)

And the main page is just one big exception saying it can't find
org.xml.sax.SAXException (no idea what the actual Exception is)...

Question: should I even be trying to get jetspeed to work on tomcat4 at all?
Has anyone else gotten it to work. If so, what did you?

-MM

P.S. and another thing: how come sending subscibe mail to
jetspeed-user-subscribe@jakarta.apache.org doesn't do anything? I've
never gotten any mail from the list after several attempts. I have to
read responses on the list archive web page....