Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Umesh Kulkarni <Um...@oracle.com> on 2001/07/04 14:15:53 UTC

JMeter : Some Questions

Hello All,

I have following questions regarding JMeter.

a) How can we typically model a Web Application say a JSP, a Servlet, a
JSP-EJB application as a test plan ?
(Does this simply involves specifying FORM parameter names,values and
URL or anything else is also involved )

b) Can we measure the performance of the whole application or the
performance of only rendering the first (front) page of the application
is possible through JMeter ?

c) Is it possible to capture the actions which user has entered and
replay them using JMeter ? How ? What is the xml file created to record
user events.

Your help in this regards is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Regards
-- Umesh

Re: JMeter : Some Questions

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Sorry this is late.

> > Hello All,
>
> I have following questions regarding JMeter.
>
> a) How can we typically model a Web Application say a JSP, a Servlet, a
> JSP-EJB application as a test plan ?
> (Does this simply involves specifying FORM parameter names,values and
> URL or anything else is also involved )

If your application is browsed by a browser, JMeter can simulate it.  You
need to know the HTTP requests that your browser generates, and yes, that's
mostly URL's and form parameters.  JMeter doesn't test javascript currently,
though.

> b) Can we measure the performance of the whole application or the
> performance of only rendering the first (front) page of the application
> is possible through JMeter ?

Images, CSS stylesheets, etc aren't automatically located and downloaded by
JMeter.  I believe there is someone working on it (well, maybe that's you - I
don't keep track of all the names too well!).  However, for most
applications, the performance of image downloading would not be the crucial
factor.  In any case, I don't think JMeter is an ideal tool for test
bandwidth.  It is better for testing a highly dynamic and CPU intensive web
application.

> c) Is it possible to capture the actions which user has entered and
> replay them using JMeter ? How ? What is the xml file created to record
> user events.

Yes, but it's currently only in CVS code, and it's undocumented.  I will try
to change that shortly, and I'll notify the lists.