Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nathan Nobbe <qu...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/13 17:22:59 UTC

multiple --reintegrate(s) when no more downstream merges occur

i have a question about --reintegrate in svn >=1.5

so, i got the whole thing thats been discussed here several times, to
reiterate for the context of this question,

1. create branch B off of branch A
2. at various points, svn merge from A -> B
3. at some other point (after those downstream merges) svn merge
--reintegrate B -> A

now, i understand the need to svn rm B, and recreate it.  however, here is
my question..

suppose after the initial reintegration merge from B -> A, there will be *no
more* downstream merges from A -> B.  that should avoid the need to recreate
B, right?  so then the main thing id like to do is multiple --reintegrate
merges from B -> A, w/o recreating it each time, given that there will be no
more downstream merges from A -> B.  is that reasonable, or is there some
danger i should know about?

tia,

-nathan

Re: multiple --reintegrate(s) when no more downstream merges occur

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 04:34:20PM -0400, Bob Archer wrote:
> There is a canonical blog post on this somewhere that I have read
> several times. But, I can't seem to find the link to it right now. (I
> really got to tag it in delicious.)

http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2008/07/subversion-merg.html

tyler

RE: multiple --reintegrate(s) when no more downstream merges occur

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
>the need to supply --reintegration when running what i would call 'upstream' merges.  what if >the flag is not supplied, is the merge history not recorded on the upstream branch?

Basically all the flag does is determine what the range of revisions to merge from the branch based on when it was copied from the current path. You can do the same thing by passing the correct revisions.

Basically, I just set up a test repo or project and try this stuff out to figure out what it is doing.

There is a canonical blog post on this somewhere that I have read several times. But, I can't seem to find the link to it right now. (I really got to tag it in delicious.)

BOb

Re: multiple --reintegrate(s) when no more downstream merges occur

Posted by Nathan Nobbe <qu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com> wrote:

>  > now, i understand the need to svn rm B, and recreate it.  however, here
> is my question.
>

> You can also record a merge from trunk back to B so you can continue using
> the branch.
>

> >that there will be no more downstream merges from A -> B.  is that
> reasonable, or is there some danger i should know about?
>
>  If you do a re-integrate and you haven’t merged from A -> B then when you
> merge back to A you (if I understand correctly) could loose stuff that you
> have added to A. Because the merge will not see those changes in the branch
> and assume the need to be removed from A. If that makes sense?

another detail i didnt provide earlier..
once the first reintegration merge is run, no more work on A, except for
potentially more reintegration merges.

>  Hmm.. I tried to create a sample for this and was getting tree conflicts.
> Strange. I’m gonna post about that.

we've been using this flow in old subversion w/o issue.  only now we're
getting to the point in our lifecycle where ill be running reintegration
merges (on 1.5+).  im also a bit nervous about the need to supply

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.