Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Senaka Fernando <se...@wso2.com> on 2008/02/12 11:37:04 UTC

Exposing Transport Headers to a Service

Hi all,

Based on Dave's request, I have added the ability for a service to observe
incoming Transport Headers. I think this is a valid requirement of a
Service Author.

Also, this creates some concern about security of a client-request.
However, I believe that we can answer these issues in this manner.

1. A client must trust a service he/she would like to access
2. Intermediate Transport nodes must be aware that sensitive information
should only reach desired destinations, and if it goes elsewhere that is a
problem of the underlying Transport (the interface between client/server).
3. According to our architecture we do not bother about Transport Level
Security within the client/server interface, with regard to headers.
4. Even if we uphold this fix, the user can still tweak it.
5. This imposes no threat to Service security which is the engine's
primary concern.
6. Also, we do provide functionality on the client side to pre-determine
whether valid requests are made before forwarding sensitive information
such as usernames and passwords.

However, I would like to know your thoughts on this fix, [1].

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2C-981

Regards,
Senaka

Re: Exposing Transport Headers to a Service

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@wso2.com>.
Hi Kaushalye,

Yes I believe what you say is true. It is a violation of concern. However,
what if someone needs the header itself? We can do that. However, as you
say, it is not advised to use this approach. But, we can always have it.
May be this could go into a #ifdef block, so that it can be disabled by
default. I believe that makes sense.

Regards,
Senaka

Posted by Kaushalye Kapuruge <ka...@wso2.com>.