Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jens Seidel <je...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2006/06/30 14:47:02 UTC

svn status doesn't show a conflict

Hi all,

I merged a file multiple time where the first merge adds this file. I noticed
that there is a conflict in this file which is not indicated by svn status:

$ svn status configure.ac
A  +   configure.ac

Is there a valid status flag for this situation at all?
I expected "C +   " or something similar.

$ ls -l configure.ac*
-rw-r--r--  1 jens users 4049 Jun 30 16:25 configure.ac
-rw-r--r--  1 jens users 4091 Jun 30 15:59 configure.ac.merge-links.r209
-rw-r--r--  1 jens users 4206 Jun 30 15:59 configure.ac.merge-rechts.r210
-rw-r--r--  1 jens users 3920 Jun 30 15:59 configure.ac.working
$ svn resolved configure.ac
Resolved conflicted state of 'configure.ac'
$ svn resolved configure.ac
$ svn status configure.ac
A  +   configure.ac

I'm not sure whether I'm able to reproduce this, but I could try if you want.
My subversion version is 1.3.0 (r17949).

Is this problem already known?

Please CC: me.

Jens

Re: svn status doesn't show a conflict

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 7/3/06, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/3/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:

> > > Ok, works for me.  I've got a patch here with a fix + test that I'm
> > > ready to commit, just waiting for the tests to finish running, then
> > > I'll check it in.
> >
> > Committed in r20382.  Erik, if you could take a look I'd appreciate it.
>
> Looks good. Thanks for the prompt response. (Proposing for backport?)

Sure, why not.  Will propose soon.

-garrett

Re: svn status doesn't show a conflict

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 7/3/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On 7/3/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> > On 7/3/06, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My thoughts would be that C should prevail, yes.
> >
> > Ok, works for me.  I've got a patch here with a fix + test that I'm
> > ready to commit, just waiting for the tests to finish running, then
> > I'll check it in.
>
> Committed in r20382.  Erik, if you could take a look I'd appreciate it.

Looks good. Thanks for the prompt response. (Proposing for backport?)

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn status doesn't show a conflict

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Jens Seidel <je...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Hi Erik,

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 11:35:38AM +0200, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> On 6/30/06, Jens Seidel <je...@users.sf.net> wrote:
> >I merged a file multiple time where the first merge adds this file. I
> >noticed
> >that there is a conflict in this file which is not indicated by svn status:
> >
> >Is there a valid status flag for this situation at all?
> >I expected "C +   " or something similar.
> >
> >Is this problem already known?
>
> No, this problem is new. If you could create a reproduction recipe I
> would be most gratefull!

OK, it was not very difficult to reproduce it. I also noticed that subversion
is really aware of this conflict, it's just not possible to display it in the
svn status output.

$ cd /tmp
$ svnadmin create repos
$ svn mkdir -m"created branch/" file:///tmp/repos/branch

Committed revision 1.
$ svn mkdir -m"created trunk/" file:///tmp/repos/trunk

Committed revision 2.
$ svn co file://$(pwd)/repos wc
A    wc/trunk
A    wc/branch
Checked out revision 2.
$ cd wc/branch/
$ echo "line 1
> line 2
> line 3" > file
$ svn add file
A         file
$ svn ci -m"Added file" file
Adding         file
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 3.
$ echo "line 1
> line 3" > file
$ svn ci -m"Removed line 2" file
Sending        file
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 4.
$ echo "line 1
> line 2" > file
$ svn ci -m"Fixed line numbering" file
Sending        file
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 5.

# Now let's create the conflict

$ cd ../trunk/
$ svn merge -r 2:3 file:///tmp/repos/branch
A    file
$ svn merge -r 4:5 file:///tmp/repos/branch
C    file

It's easy to not notice this typo once you merge large subtrees.

$ svn status
?      file.merge-left.r4
?      file.merge-right.r5
?      file.working
A  +   file
$ cat file
line 1
<<<<<<< .working
line 2
line 3
=======
line 2
$ svn ci -m"file with conflict" file
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Aborting commit: '/tmp/wc/trunk/file' remains in conflict

Again: Please CC: me.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 6/30/06, Jens Seidel <je...@users.sf.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I merged a file multiple time where the first merge adds this file. I noticed
> that there is a conflict in this file which is not indicated by svn status:
>
> $ svn status configure.ac
> A  +   configure.ac
>
> Is there a valid status flag for this situation at all?
> I expected "C +   " or something similar.
>
> $ ls -l configure.ac*
> -rw-r--r--  1 jens users 4049 Jun 30 16:25 configure.ac
> -rw-r--r--  1 jens users 4091 Jun 30 15:59 configure.ac.merge-links.r209
> -rw-r--r--  1 jens users 4206 Jun 30 15:59 configure.ac.merge-rechts.r210
> -rw-r--r--  1 jens users 3920 Jun 30 15:59 configure.ac.working
> $ svn resolved configure.ac
> Resolved conflicted state of 'configure.ac'
> $ svn resolved configure.ac
> $ svn status configure.ac
> A  +   configure.ac
>
> I'm not sure whether I'm able to reproduce this, but I could try if you want.
> My subversion version is 1.3.0 (r17949).
>
> Is this problem already known?

No, this problem is new. If you could create a reproduction recipe I
would be most gratefull!

Thanks in advance.

bye,

Erik.