Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by amit mehta <gm...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/04 23:36:10 UTC

Query on BSP

I have a nrf52 DK, which was sitting idle until few hours earlier
today. I'm trying to first few tutorials (blinky led on nRF52 works
fine) from the mynewt ASF homepage and was wondering why the
bsp [1] for nrf52 and others such as stm32f4discovery as well is
so minimalist ?  Is it as per design of mynewt or some effort is
already under way to improve the BSPs for respective boards ?

[1] ~repos/apache-mynewt-core/hw/bsp/<target board>/include/bsp/bsp.h

Thanks,
Amit

--
Sent from Bahamas, while drinking chi-chi and piña colada.

Re: Query on BSP

Posted by amit mehta <gm...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 12:41 AM, Sterling Hughes
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What’s missing?  You may just be running into the code organization — we try
> and make the BSPs as small as possible, because there are so many per MCU.

"You may just be running into the code organization". - Yes indeed :)
I should have browsed the code a little more. Thanks a lot for
swift response.

Thanks,
Amit

--
Sent from Bahamas, while drinking chi-chi and piña colada.

Re: Query on BSP

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amit,

On 4 Mar 2017, at 15:36, amit mehta wrote:

> I have a nrf52 DK, which was sitting idle until few hours earlier
> today. I'm trying to first few tutorials (blinky led on nRF52 works
> fine) from the mynewt ASF homepage and was wondering why the
> bsp [1] for nrf52 and others such as stm32f4discovery as well is
> so minimalist ?  Is it as per design of mynewt or some effort is
> already under way to improve the BSPs for respective boards ?
>
> [1] ~repos/apache-mynewt-core/hw/bsp/<target board>/include/bsp/bsp.h

What\u2019s missing?  You may just be running into the code organization
\u2014 we try and make the BSPs as small as possible, because there are so
many per MCU.  If you\u2019re looking for more hardware specific code, best
to look at:

- hw/mcu/nordic/nrf52xxx/: contains HAL implementation for Nordic
processor
- hw/drivers/: contains a few useful drivers
- hw/hal/include/hal: HAL headers you can include and use

Most of the configuration of the board itself is done in hal_bsp.c:

- hw/bsp/nrf52dk/src/hal_bsp.c

If there are other things missing tho that you\u2019d like to see \u2014
we\u2019re happy to add them as options or help you figure out how to do
them.

> Thanks,
> Amit
>
> --
> Sent from Bahamas, while drinking chi-chi and pi�a colada.

Wish that were me.

Sterling