Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2006/03/03 15:39:42 UTC

Re: building mod_perl against multiple apache's, make test fails looking for apr.so

mbockol@carleton.edu wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to set up a dev box with both apache 2.0.55 and 2.2.0 . Since
> I've got both, I didn't want to set /usr/local/http-2.0.55/lib in my
> /etc/ld.so.conf since then the 2.2.0 binaries might look at the wrong
> APR (well.. that's my guess).
>
> I tried:
>
> perl Makefile MP_APXS=/usr/local/httpd-2.0.55/bin/apxs
> MP_APR_CONFIG=/usr/local/httpd-2.0.55/bin/apr-config
>
> It builds without error. Make test fails a number of places because it
> can't find apr.so.
>
> If I set /usr/local/httpd-2.0.55/lib in ld.so.conf, or set  SETENV
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH then all is well, but then what about 2.2.0?
>
> If mod_perl is running under a particular apache as a dso then does it
> just inherit the right apr and the make test is nothing to worry about?
>
> Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I really don't understand why you need to go through all that.  I have quite
a few different versions of httpd compiled and installed on the same
(fedora) box, and all I ever do is

  o make and install each httpd to it's own location
  o make and install each mod_perl via MP_APXS=/path/to/httpd/bin/apxs

no apr or ld foo required.

HTH

--Geoff