Posted to dev@quickstep.apache.org by Zuyu Zhang <zu...@apache.org> on 2016/06/12 19:37:57 UTC

Guideline To Update Copyright Header

Hi,

I was wondering how to update copyright info in a file header to reflect
outside contributors' change.

More specifically, is it appropriate to add "Copyright 2016 The Apache
Quickstep Contributors."?

https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep/pull/27/files#diff-357f532831c389c757e7c87c7db1c4d3R4

Cheers,
Zuyu

Re: Guideline To Update Copyright Header

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Julian,

Good point. To clarify. I was only going to copy the copyright into the root NOTICE file, and leave the files completely untouched. So, they wouldn’t have the Apache header in the source files. Only our files would have the new Apache Copyright template.

Also, I think if it makes sense to the Quickstep mentors, and such a thing doesn’t exist, I’m happy to put together a document on what common tasks/problems that incubator community members face, and how to proactively pre-empt them. That may reduce the workload on the incubator mentors in the future. I do have a working scratch pad where I have been noting things and can clean them up in a few weeks when I think it will be clear that we have gotten past at least the first set of methods for doing things the ASF way. It will be a sequential checklist, so hopefully easy to follow, and hard to mess up.

Cheers,
Jignesh

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Roman:

Good point! Will fix and all the ones that we automatically include (and not the ones that are in submodules).

Cheers,
Jignesh

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks Roman!

To not disturb the ongoing work in existing PRs, I can take care of fixing the copyright in all existing files once we have closed the existing PRs (upto PR #28) . I’ll write a sed script to make the switch. Tentatively, lets plan on running this script this on Thursday 6/16 at noon CT. Soon after that, hopefully it will be merged into the master.

/**
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
 * or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
 * distributed with this work for additional information
 * regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
 * to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
 * "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
 * with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *   http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
 * software distributed under the License is distributed on an
 * "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
 * KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
 * specific language governing permissions and limitations
 * under the License.
 **/

I’ll replace the existing NOTICE file in the root Quickstep directory that has the following contents tomorrow at June 14 at noon CT, so new files going in after that with the header above point to the right NOTICE file. For PRs being merged after the new NOTICE file is in the master, if you feel like you need to change the copyright notice (you don’t have to as I can take care of that when I run the sed script), please use the contents in the the copyright block above.

Apache Quickstep (incubating)
Copyright 2016 The Apache Software Foundation.

Portions Copyright (c) 2011-2015, Quickstep Technologies, LLC.
Portions Copyright (c) 2015-2016, Pivotal Software, Inc.
Portions Copyright (c) 2015-2016, Quickstep Research Group, University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Please note it is my understanding that we don’t need to add our individual names or organization names to the NOTICE file, so don’t need to grow the list in the NOTICE file.

Please let me know if you spot some errors in this approach.

Cheers,
Jignesh

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "Jignesh M. Patel" <ji...@pivotal.io>.