Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Raju Chandran <ra...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/25 11:21:49 UTC

[users@httpd] Trouble starting Apache HTTP Server

Hi all,
I am trying to configure my standalone Apache server 2.2 in my Mac OS

I am able to compile and install Apache HTTP Server 2.2.4 source tree
(downloaded for UNix) for my Mac OS server without enabling any features
(modules)

I followed the guidelines given

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html

1) I tried to start the server using "apachectl start"

a)  but failing and showing the following :

 Processing config directory: /private/etc/httpd/users/*.conf
 Processing config file: /private/etc/httpd/users/abcde.conf
 fopen: Permission denied
 httpd: could not open error log file /private/var/log/httpd/error_log.

I wonder why it is going to a different log path. I disabled the built-in
Apache Webserver comes with MacOS. Is it causing the issue?

b) I also tried "httpd -f ..../httpd.conf"
but it is also failing

Syntax error on line 114 of /Volumes/DATA/Apache_new/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'Order', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
included in the server configuration

Please help me in the above and also help me in  how I can compile 'modules'
into the binary and use them

Thanks
Raju

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Trouble starting Apache HTTP Server

Posted by Raju Chandran <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much Robert for your tips.
The built-in Apache server with MacOs was conflicting with my configuration
and setup.

I changed to my Apache bin directory and fired :
a) ./apachectl -f  <My apache -home>/conf/httpd.conf
for starting and
b) ./apachectl -f  <My apache -home>/conf/httpd.conf -k stop
for stopping

After this , i downloaded tomcat's mod_jk module and compiled and configd
for communicating with my Apache setup to my JBOSS-tomcat setup and its also
working fine
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-3.3-doc/mod_jk-howto.html

Thanks a lot once again,

Posted by Robert T Wyatt <ro...@mail.utexas.edu>.

Posted by Raju Chandran <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I am able to compile all modules as DSO using
./configure --prefix=PREFIX --enable-mods-shared=all

its now creating all the modules (.so extension) under the modules
directory.

Now I am again trying to start my server using 'httpd'

But this time I am getting error like this :

>> httpd -f /Volumes/DATA/Apache_224/conf/httpd.conf
Syntax error on line 65 of /DATA/Apache_224/conf/httpd.conf:
API module structure `auth_basic_module' in file
/Volumes/DATA/Apache_224/modules/mod_auth_basic.so is garbled - perhaps this
is not an Apache module DSO?

If I comment this , it goes to the next module and so on and to some stage
we get another error

"Cannot load /Volumes/DATA/Apache_224/modules/mod_auth_digest.so into
server: (reason unknown)"

Please help me at the earliest

Thanks
Raju

Re: [users@httpd] Trouble starting Apache HTTP Server

Posted by Robert T Wyatt <ro...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Raju Chandran wrote:
> 1) I tried to start the server using "apachectl start"

Instead try "sudo apachectl start" or "sudo apachectl graceful"

You'll be prompted for your admin password.