Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Marcel Bruch <ma...@codetrails.com> on 2014/03/04 22:16:25 UTC

[ApacheDS] Running DS 2.0 as embedded service?

Hi ds-users,

I’m struggling with running Apache DS in embedded mode. I tried to find a tutorial about how to run Apache DS as embedded service but couldn’t find anything about it. Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to run it in an OSGI environment?

I tried:

    public void start(BundleContext context) throws Exception {
        super.start(context);
        ds = new ApacheDsService();
        IPath location = ResourcesPlugin.getWorkspace().getRoot().getLocation();
        IPath dir = location.append(".codetrails/directory");
        File file = dir.toFile();
        file.mkdirs();
        ds.start(new InstanceLayout(file));
    }

I got complains about missing ou=schema.ldif file. I exported a schema but now get NullPointerExceptions I cannot make sense of because I don’t have the sources for apacheds-service.jar to further debug the output.

Thus, I tried to run the Maven build create the sources jar files myself. Unfortunately I got a BuildException in

[INFO] ApacheDS Mavibot Partition ........................ FAILURE [0.718s]

that stopped me there. I got tests in error:

  MavibotEntrySerializationTest.initializationError ? UnsupportedClassVersion or...
  MavibotIndexTest.initializationError ? UnsupportedClassVersion org/apache/dire...
  MavibotMasterTableTest.initializationError ? UnsupportedClassVersion org/apach...
  MavibotRdnIndexTest.initializationError ? UnsupportedClassVersion org/apache/d...
  MavibotStoreTest.initializationError ? UnsupportedClassVersion org/apache/dire...

I’m a bit surprised that "mvn clean install“ fails with such an error message. Does this make sense for you? My java version is „1.7.0_51 - Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13).

Sorry for asking that many questions in just a few days - and thanks for your help getting started.
Marcel

Re: [ApacheDS] Running DS 2.0 as embedded service?

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:46 AM, Marcel Bruch <ma...@codetrails.com>wrote:

> Hi ds-users,
>
> I'm struggling with running Apache DS in embedded mode. I tried to find a
> tutorial about how to run Apache DS as embedded service but couldn't find
> anything about it. Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to run it
> in an OSGI environment?
>
> take a look at this[1] sample(you can leave the LdapServer parts) and
apply it accordingly in your environment
to work

> I tried:
>
>     public void start(BundleContext context) throws Exception {
>         super.start(context);
>         ds = new ApacheDsService();
>         IPath location =
> ResourcesPlugin.getWorkspace().getRoot().getLocation();
>         IPath dir = location.append(".codetrails/directory");
>         File file = dir.toFile();
>         file.mkdirs();
>         ds.start(new InstanceLayout(file));
>     }
>
> I got complains about missing ou=schema.ldif file. I exported a schema but
> now get NullPointerExceptions I cannot make sense of because I don't have
> the sources for apacheds-service.jar to further debug the output.
>
> ya, there are few more things that need to be done before you call
ds.start(), take a look at that example

> Thus, I tried to run the Maven build create the sources jar files myself.
> Unfortunately I got a BuildException in
>
> [INFO] ApacheDS Mavibot Partition ........................ FAILURE [0.718s]
>
> that stopped me there. I got tests in error:
>
>   MavibotEntrySerializationTest.initializationError ?
> UnsupportedClassVersion or...
>   MavibotIndexTest.initializationError ? UnsupportedClassVersion
> org/apache/dire...
>   MavibotMasterTableTest.initializationError ? UnsupportedClassVersion
> org/apach...
>   MavibotRdnIndexTest.initializationError ? UnsupportedClassVersion
> org/apache/d...
>   MavibotStoreTest.initializationError ? UnsupportedClassVersion
> org/apache/dire...

> I'm a bit surprised that "mvn clean install" fails with such an error
> message. Does this make sense for you? My java version is "1.7.0_51 -
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13).
>
> you can skip the tests for time being and run "mvn clean install
-DskipTests" (mavibot is still under development)

> Sorry for asking that many questions in just a few days - and thanks for
> your help getting started.

np at all, keep them coming

> Marcel

[1]