Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by cm...@yahoo.com on 2000/11/08 19:55:59 UTC

No revolution today

Hi,

After a lot of thinking, I decided to give up ( at least temporary ) my
plans for a tomcat revolution. It was very tempting, but I don't think
it's the right thing to do - evolution is still the best way to go :-)

It is important that tomcat3 has a design that allows support for future
versions of the servlet API, but if tomcat developers don't want to see it
happen - so be it. When Servlet2.3 will be final and in wide use, there is
nothing that can stop someone from providing the module that supports it (
not necesarily from apache site ).

But for now it's important to continue to improve the foundation.

My focus will continue to be on Tomcat3.3, in fixing the encoding
problems and on improving the performance. We are not yet the best
servlet container - so there is still work to do.

If you believe that tomcat3 can't be the best container, and a different
model is better suited for that - that's perfect, as long as the code you
write is reusable everyone will benefit. And I'm sure the users will
choose whatever it's better for them, regardless of version
numbers. It's open source - and so far the better code has survived
regardless of politics.

The rules are still there - after a release, the main branch is open for
the development of the next release, and as long as we are improving I
don't think anyone can stop the evolution.

Regarding the other issues ( webdav, etc ) - if the author believes it's
not right to provide support for webdav in tomcat3.3 I'll move the
implementation in proposals. It's just a webapplication that should work
on any container, who needs it can get it without being included in the
standard distribution.
Regarding the Resource abstraction and the caching code ( that are used in
webdav), those will probably go into tomcat3.3 - unless you can vote that
better performance is bad for tomcat. Same thing should happen with the
HTTP1.1 implementation - it's great code and it shouldn't be tied to a
particular container design.

Costin

Re: No revolution today

Posted by Matthew Dornquast <ma...@webhelp.com>.
> In our situation, we plan to use multiple virtual hosts, each with its
> own root context.  That makes the URLs shorter and easier for people to
> work with.  It also lets you more easily move/copy one context to
> another without having to fix all the links.

We use many virtual hosts today in production,
however they all share the same root context.

To some this might seem counter-intuitive.

It actually does make sense if you're using the MVC pattern and
you use virtual hosts to define a cluster of alternate views.

Just because the "View" is changing doesn't mean the serlvet (controller)
isn't identical.  We like to avoid loading lots of VM's.

In fact, we have base servlets than are extended by host specific
servlets for specific views.

It also gives you flexibility in the "route" people take to your servers.
Hostname A might have hot spares, while hostname B has a cluster of
servers behind it.

> If anybody is interested in the patches, let me know and I'll post them
> to the list again.

Would your patches work in the above scenario as well?
If so, I'd love to have them!

Is their any reason their not merged into the core 3.2 code?

> I'd also like to cast my vote for a production quality release and
> continued development of tomcat 3.x for production use.

Definitely want to chime in and agree on this.  We're still running 3.1 in
production on
8 web servers.  It's slow, it doesn't let us do sessions (aforementioned
reasons) but hey--
It's stable.

-Matthew

Re: No revolution today

Posted by kenneth topp <ca...@prodigy.net>.
I'm interested in these patches.

Also, I'm interested in the issues with the issues with root contexts (the
thread name on tomcat-dev or .java file)

Thanks,

Kenneth Topp

Re: No revolution today

Posted by Paul Frieden <pf...@dChain.com>.

RE: No revolution today

Re: No revolution today

Posted by Matthew Dornquast <ma...@webhelp.com>.

RE: No revolution today

Posted by "yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com" <yh...@mimic.onesourcecorp.com>.

Re: No revolution today

RE: No revolution today

Posted by "yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com" <yh...@mimic.onesourcecorp.com>.

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Matthew Dornquast wrote:

> > umm...it does. i use it.
> > -Ys-
>
> My understanding is it DOES work for app contexts mapped to a URL like
> "/myapp" but it does NOT work
> for the root context.  "/"
>
> Many of us have webapps that mount to the root context.
>
> I spent WAY to much time figuring this out, I'd love to be proven wrong.
> But the mailing list supports what I'm saying if you search for "load
> balancing"
>
> -Matthew

yep. root context bug. reported loong ago.

Re: No revolution today

Posted by Matthew Dornquast <ma...@webhelp.com>.

Re: No revolution today

Posted by "yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com" <yh...@mimic.onesourcecorp.com>.

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Nick Bauman wrote:

> How? As far as I can tell it's broken in TC 3.1 / mod_jserv. Can you
> describe your configuration?
>
><SNIP>
> > > "as advertised" in a web server farm with a rotator box like BigIP. Right
> > > now the Session API in tomcat 3.1  /does not work/ across multiple
> > > instances of tomcat in a server farm.
> > >

> > umm...it does. i use it.
> > -Ys-
> > yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com

> Nicolaus Bauman
> Software Engineer
> Simplexity Systems

						__ 4 x
                         /- 3 x           -----/-- tomcat JVMs
Net---Load Balancer-------- apache             \-per apachewebserver.
       (piranha - redhat) \- web servers
			    with mod_jserv        x 3

i also use :

Net-------------------Apache with mod_jserv ----< 30 x tomcat jvms.

Re: No revolution today

Posted by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com>.

Re: No revolution today

Posted by "yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com" <yh...@mimic.onesourcecorp.com>.

RE: No revolution today

Posted by Laurent Salle <La...@aventin.com>.

  I just read the BigIP specification.

http://www.f5.com/bigip/

  and I expect that Tomcat is working in the cookie passive mode of
persistence

  Is-it right ?

Re: No revolution today

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.

> I for one, would love to see the 3.x codebase's Session API actually work
> "as advertised" in a web server farm with a rotator box like BigIP. Right
> now the Session API in tomcat 3.1  /does not work/ across multiple
> instances of tomcat in a server farm.

And that's why the session stuff is almost completely separated from the
core, in a separate package and with only minor dependencies.

Even more, a new session manager can be created in an independent module (
like a revolution ) - that can be shared with other containers ( even if I
know some that don't like to share :-).

In fact, most of the session management can be implemented in "user
space", with only minor things in the core ( allowing maximum flexibility
for the user - since he would just use a library, with an unlimited API,
not only the few methods provided by Servlet2.2 ).

I don't think I'll be able to do that very soon, but if anyone wants to
start it I would certainly help as much as possible.

There are few (major) optimizations that needs to be done in session
management, but I think Parameters and Dispatcher are more urgent.

Costin

Re: No revolution today

Posted by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com>.

Re: No revolution today

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@slib.fr>.
> It is important that tomcat3 has a design that allows support for
> future
> versions of the servlet API, but if tomcat developers don't want to see
> it
> happen - so be it. When Servlet2.3 will be final and in wide use, there
> is
> nothing that can stop someone from providing the module that supports it
> (
> not necesarily from apache site ).

Many of us could live with a bullet proof TC 3.3 with API 2.2/JSP 1.1 for at
least one or two years. Note that many importants sites still use Apache JServ
(API 2.0) and GnuJSP.

> But for now it's important to continue to improve the foundation.
>

> My focus will continue to be on Tomcat3.3, in fixing the encoding
> problems and on improving the performance. We are not yet the best
> servlet container - so there is still work to do.

> If you believe that tomcat3 can't be the best container, and a
> different
> model is better suited for that - that's perfect, as long as the code
> you
> write is reusable everyone will benefit. And I'm sure the users will
> choose whatever it's better for them, regardless of version
> numbers. It's open source - and so far the better code has survived
> regardless of politics.

Yes, TC 3.3 must fix TC 3.2 bugs and boost performances. Users could allways
bench TC 3.3 vs TC 4.0 or others servlets engines. And they'll choose their
favorite

RE: Scalability and revolution?

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Sorry Roy.

Scability is not much of a problem here.

With the framework I built, using JServ as Web Server, Oracle 8i as
database and JDK 1.3 (w/ Hotspot) we can serve over 30 hits per
second on the most typical dynamic pages in current (800 MHz) CPUs
and enough memory (and the thing has templates, yes... just not XSL
ones).

30 hits per second on dynamic pages is a lot, especially when most of
the pages accessed are still static. It is going to take some time
before we need to think about multiple servers.

And then, since the user validation is done on Apache, I suspect I
can work around session management in my framework while using a
single Apache server to distribute requests to several JServ/Tomcat
Servlet engines - the user will not have to login more than once
and I will work on a user basis instead of on a session basis.
(Good enough for my situation... maybe not for yours.)

Of course that I hope to have other solutions when I get there.

Still, if one is able to make his/hers code fast enough, multiple
server solutions are not such a common problem. Only a megasite
problem.

>30 hits per second just for dynamic pages is a lot, and it is
not hard to achieve with current hardware.

Have fun,
Paulo

Posted by Roy Wilson <de...@bellatlantic.net>.
Paulo,

RE: No revolution today

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@slib.fr>.
En réponse à Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>:

> But at the moment, for me, my company and people/companies I know, the
> ONE
> main priority is having a fast and robust Servlet Engine - with robust
> being the priority.

+1

> Your focus on a modular architecture keeps all doors open for the
> development of new features. IMO, a robust, fast enough and easily
> extensible Servlet Engine would take the market.

+2

> We do NOT necessarily depend on a engine that is the "reference
> implementation of..." and that has hundreds of features.
>
> We depend on a engine we can use on production sites.

+3

PS: I'd like to see that I'm not the only one worried about quality and
production use ;-$

RE: No revolution today

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Very wise decision.