Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/11/11 17:00:29 UTC

Re: Makefile 'PERL=' definition.. 1.99_07, and previous releases

Lester Vecsey wrote:
> In the Makefile that gets generated there are some PERL= and FULLPERL=
> statements that get set to whichever perl you ran on the original
> Makefile.PL file. For example I ran /usr/bin/perl-5.8.0-threaded on it, and
> they got set properly. The problem is theres an additional 'MakeMaker macro
> section' down lower in the Makefile that gets generated that just seems to
> always default to /usr/local/bin/perl, instead of any custom one that is
> specified when running the original perl on Makefile.PL.
>
> I just thought I'd point this out and ask if this was intentional or an
> oversight. I manually changed it and was able to finish doing a 'make
> install', which was previously hanging up on the 'pure_install' section
> because it invoked the wrong perl executable.
>
> So that takes care of the problem I posted about a week ago ;) Now off to
> finish testing this version of mod_perl.so..
>
> --
> # --- MakeMaker macro section:
> MODPERL_MAKEFILE = Makefile.modperl
> #PERL = /usr/local/bin/perl
> PERL = /usr/bin/perl-5.8.0-threaded
> APACHE_PREFIX =
> MOD_INSTALL = $(PERL) -I$(INST_LIB) -I$(PERL_LIB) -MModPerl::MM \
> -e "ModPerl::MM::install({@ARGV},'$(VERBINST)',0,'$(UNINST)'
> <mailto:{@ARGV},'$(VERBINST)',0,'$(UNINST)'>);"

If you look at Makefile.PL it has the following code:

ModPerl::MM::WriteMakefile(
[...]
     macro => {
[...]
         PERL             => $build->perl_config('perlpath'),

which essentially does:

   require Config;
   PERL => $Config{perlpath},

meaning that your perl's Config.pm is wrong. Check what you get when you
run:

% /usr/bin/perl-5.8.0-threaded -V:perlpath

does it print '/usr/bin/perl-5.8.0-threaded' or '/usr/local/bin/perl'