Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2005/02/04 04:33:02 UTC

RFC: svnadmin load --use-commit-hooks

I was considering adding a --use-commit-hooks option to 'svnadmin
load' (and any APIs that need to accept a new boolean as a result)
which would cause 'svnadmin load' to actually use the repository's
hook system during the load.  It occured to me that there are times
when I might like to verify that stuff I'm importing into my
repository would have passed the same validation applied to commits
that came into that repository via regular version control operations,
and get the same post-commit triggering (emails, CIA bot
notifications, whatever...).  Or maybe make it two options,
--use-pre-commit-hook and --use-post-commit-hook.

Thoughts?

Re: RFC: svnadmin load --use-commit-hooks

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@collab.net>.
On Feb 4, 2005, at 7:39 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2005, at 11:12 PM, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
>
>> On 2005-02-03 22:33:02 -0600, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>>> --use-pre-commit-hook and --use-post-commit-hook.
>>
>> --use-hooks=[pre|post|both|pre,post]
>>

> Why so complex?  Why not just one switch to execute all hooks or not?
>
> If you want certain hook scripts *not* to run, why not just move them
> out of the repository temporarily?

+1

-Fitz

Re: RFC: svnadmin load --use-commit-hooks

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Friday, February 4, 2005 8:48 AM -0600 "C. Michael Pilato"
<cm...@collab.net> wrote:

> Because not all 'svnadmin load's occur while a repository is offline.
> For example, if the ASF is merging in another cvs2svn'd project
> dumpfile, they certainly wouldn't shut down operations across the
> board while that load happens.  (Would they?)

Heck no.  =)  We found the race conditions in the dump loader because we do
the load while the repository is on-line.

> So, moving the script
> out of the way is not an acceptable solution.  (But I still think
> having two distinct options is nicer than having one with a ternery
> value.)

Here's my thoughts: on one hand, I'd like this feature because we have our
post-commit hooks doing backups.  On the other hand, doing the backups and
doing the mailer for the imported files makes little sense.  For some
projects that'd be over 20,000 commits: that's absurd.

(FWIW, I have a script that goes through and does the incremental
one-revision backups after I do the load to work around the lack of hook
scripts.)

So, I'm not sure it'd make sense for the extreme use case of apache.org.
However, I can see smaller circumstances that make sense for this feature
and have often thought this might not be a bad idea to offer...  -- justin

Re: RFC: svnadmin load --use-commit-hooks

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> On Feb 3, 2005, at 11:12 PM, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
>
> > On 2005-02-03 22:33:02 -0600, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> >> --use-pre-commit-hook and --use-post-commit-hook.
> >
> > --use-hooks=[pre|post|both|pre,post]
> >

> Why so complex?  Why not just one switch to execute all hooks or
> not?
>
> If you want certain hook scripts *not* to run, why not just move them
> out of the repository temporarily?

Because not all 'svnadmin load's occur while a repository is offline.
For example, if the ASF is merging in another cvs2svn'd project
dumpfile, they certainly wouldn't shut down operations across the
board while that load happens.  (Would they?)  So, moving the script

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de>.
On 2005-02-03 22:33:02 -0600, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> --use-pre-commit-hook and --use-post-commit-hook.

--use-hooks=[pre|post|both|pre,post]

darix

--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

              http://www.irssi.de/