Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by "Admin @ Goodun" <ad...@goodunlimited.co.uk> on 2020/09/29 08:36:35 UTC

12.1 ?

Apparently 12.1 is out, for nearly a month now, but my 12.0
installation doesn't tell me so, and when I use the search for updates
function it tells me there are none.

Is this expected behaviour? How am I to get 12.1?

I've looked for options that might explain this but don't see anything.

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by "Admin @ Goodun" <ad...@goodunlimited.co.uk>.
Ok, thanks. Are you saying that the patch updates are not incremental
updates like 12.1 is?

Either way. it seems inconsistent. The update function reports that
there are no updates which in fact is not true. There *are* updates,
but (it seems) of a different type. The existence of different types of
updates isn't mentioned anywhere I've seen.

Joomla handles this by having different update channels for different
types of updates. Is this not a mechanism that Apache has?

Thanks again
Mark

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 9/29/20 9:09 AM, Scott Palmer wrote:
> I’m simply saying that it would be useful to acknowledge the existence
> of new releases in a “check for updates” feature.  The point being that
> just because you are currently on 12.0 doesn’t imply that you have
> selected to stick to only LTS releases.. 12.0 is just one release on the
> way to 12.1 if you aren’t sticking to LTS.

Maybe this would be nice on the "Start Page" that appears when you
launch NetBeans. Right now, "Learn and Discover" has a "What's New" link
that opens the download page on the web site, where we see that 12.1 is
available. But the "What's New" tab does not show 12.1 in its News.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
Right, I don’t mean to suggest getting rid of the distinction.  I agree that a LTS release should not automatically install anything other than patches intended for the LTS release, it shouldn’t upgrade to a new release.

I’m simply saying that it would be useful to acknowledge the existence of new releases in a “check for updates” feature.  The point being that just because you are currently on 12.0 doesn’t imply that you have selected to stick to only LTS releases.. 12.0 is just one release on the way to 12.1 if you aren’t sticking to LTS.

Scott

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 15:43, Steven Yi <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I find the distinction between LTS and feature release is great, but I
> do find the use of the minor number to denote a feature release a
> little confusing. I think it's just a little cognitive dissonance
> between semantic versioning practice, pre-Apache Netbeans release
> cycles, and current Netbeans release.

You and me both!  I think it's a shame we didn't just use increasing
numbers for releases.  There was a vote on what the versioning scheme
should be before we decided on a release schedule - completely the
wrong way around!

Mind you, the numbering scheme is close to the pre-Apache scheme, in
that the IDE version was never semantic versioning either - they were
all major releases.  And all required a full reinstallation, rather
than being delivered by updates.  The difference is we've sped things
up a bit, which seems to confuse the situation more.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Steven Yi <st...@gmail.com>.
I find the distinction between LTS and feature release is great, but I
do find the use of the minor number to denote a feature release a
little confusing. I think it's just a little cognitive dissonance
between semantic versioning practice, pre-Apache Netbeans release
cycles, and current Netbeans release.  Maybe it is just something for
me to get used to.

One note is that Node uses major numbers to distinguish LTS vs.
feature releases.  Java also uses major numbers for ongoing feature
releases (i.e., 11 is LTS, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 has been feature
releases) and JavaFX as well (11 is LTS, 15 is latest feature
release).  I wonder if having something like this would help clarify
the release cycles for Netbeans.  (i.e., even major numbers are LTS,
odd numbers are feature releases)

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by "Jack W." <so...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:46 AM Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, first NetBeans is not Ubuntu, neither Microsoft.

Certainly not Microsoft, who have already used VSCode as the Atom killer
and possibly would like to administer the *coup de grâce* to NetBeans ...

---
Jack Woehr               # Woehr's Asymptote: The ratio of the time spent
Box 51, Golden CO 80402  # administering productivity software over the time
http://www.softwoehr.com # saved by said software eventually approximates 1.

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well, first NetBeans is not Ubuntu, neither Microsoft.

We are trying to do the best we could do given that our resources are
limited. Upgrades between feature releases could be problematic. Just as
between 12.0 to 12.1 the Gradle support has been moved around into
different clusters. As of now, that kind of upgrade is not supported by
our auto update infrastructure and I think there is no effort made by
anyone to support that scenario. If it bothers anyone, please take that,
file a PR when it works.

Also maybe it does not affect to many people but the Lombok support with
Gradle got broken in 12.1, so while 12.1 has some new features,12.0 is
still more stable. We already issued one update for 12.0, that happened
through the update center, fixed a handful of issues and we are planning
to have a 12.0-u2 in the near future. Also 12.2 is shaping up well with
new features flowing in. A lot of small polishing, Java 15 support, PHP
8.0 features, Gradle support improvements, etc.

If you would like to have automatic updates, and you happen to be on
Linux, right now it is supported via Snap packages: See
https://snapcraft.io/netbeans
If you follow latest/stable channel you are going to be upgraded to the
latest release. You can also follow latest/edge to automatically get the
beta and release candidates as well. Or If you would like to stick with
the LTS there is a 12.0/stable channel as well.

Re: 12.1 ?

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at>.
On 30.09.2020 15:03, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 08:17, Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at> wrote:
>> I really don't understand why the discussion got so out of hand.
>>
>> As a user I expect that "Check for updates" informs me about new patches
>> *and* releases
>
> I'm not sure it got out of hand, just discussed the current reality,
> and why it differs from your current expectations.  That is not the
> same as saying it doesn't need to change.

I had to lookup a phrase in a dictionary but choosing "Out of hand" was
perhaps to harsh for what I meant.

> Check for updates has never covered releases, only patches.

And that is what I want, an easy way to check (manually) for a new
release. My way to go would have been to give users the choice if they
want to remain on an LTS (or any current) release or download and
install a new one. For me, that would have been a big relieve.

Christoph

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 08:17, Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at> wrote:
> I really don't understand why the discussion got so out of hand.
>
> As a user I expect that "Check for updates" informs me about new patches
> *and* releases

I'm not sure it got out of hand, just discussed the current reality,
and why it differs from your current expectations.  That is not the
same as saying it doesn't need to change.

Check for updates has never covered releases, only patches.

There is a second notification mechanism that covers releases.  There
is no current way to trigger that in a way that reflects two different
release strands (LTS and quarterly).

We decided not to trigger the notification for feature releases on LTS
releases, but you can at least lay the blame for suggesting that, and
for not adding the notification for 12.0 when 12.1 was released, at my
door.  I'm still unsure whether it's the right approach.  There are
pros and cons to doing so, at least until we rethink how the inherited
code behaves here.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at>.
I really don't understand why the discussion got so out of hand.

As a user I expect that "Check for updates" informs me about new patches
*and* releases, optionally with some info if in case of a new non-LTS
release (e.g. 12.1) if I'm on an LTS branch (e.g. 12.0). And if it is a
patch then offer to update automatically, if it is a release then refer
him to the download page.

And that's all.

Christoph

RE: 12.1 ?

Posted by Andreas Heckel <ak...@uni-bremen.de>.
I am quite new to this and so far I am happy with the versioning scheme. However from this discussion I see the same flaw as Alan:
Let's say you are on non-LTS V.3 you upgrade to (V+1).0 and end up being on the "LTS-track" and will not get informed about new non-LTS upgrades?
Or are there generally no information about a new upgrade version apart the website / mailing list?

Andreas

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by Alan <ne...@ambitonline.com>.

Re: 12.1 ?

Posted by "Admin @ Goodun" <ad...@goodunlimited.co.uk>.

Re: 12.1 ?

On 2020-09-29 09:56, Scott Palmer wrote:

> The distinction can be confusing.  A feature release IS a kind of update.  I think a feature should be added to check for new versions of NetBeans, not just plugins.  Perhaps such a check can be automatic and the existence of new versions can be added to the About box?
>
> Scott
>
> On Sep 29, 2020, at 9:20 AM, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> 12.1 is not an update, it is a feature release. Can you look at the netbeans.apache.org [1] download pages for the difference between an LTS release and a feature release?
>
> Gj
>
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 15:18, Admin @ Goodun <ad...@goodunlimited.co.uk> wrote: Hi Geertjan,
>
> Neil's message hadn't come through here when I replied to your message.
>
> Also, sorry for replying privately, my 1mistake.
>
> Mark
>
> On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 13:35 +0200, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
>
>> Did you read what Neil told you? Can you read it again, please?
>

>> Please use the mailing list, thanks.
>

>> Gj

Links:
------