Posted to user@syncope.apache.org by Guido Wimmel <gu...@gmx.net> on 2016/03/08 14:38:07 UTC

Syncope 1.2.x on Tomcat 8

Hi,

does anyone have experience with running Syncope 1.2.x on Tomcat 8?

AFAIK Syncope 1.2.x is not supported/tested on Tomcat 8, but for me it seems to work.

The only difference I noticed so far is in the class scanning on startup.
At least in my setup, on Tomcat 8 the ImplementationClassLoader scans all classes in all jar files for implementations of Syncope interfaces. Thus, on startup all classes in the classpath are loaded, leading to slower startup, increased usage of metaspace, and some warnings ("could not link class..." because optional dependencies for some frameworks are not included).
On Tomcat 7, only the classes in WEB-INF/classes seem to be scanned.

Cheers,
   Guido

Re: Syncope 1.2.x on Tomcat 8

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 08/03/2016 14:38, Guido Wimmel wrote:
> Hi,
> does anyone have experience with running Syncope 1.2.x on Tomcat 8?

No experience with this setup for me: as you probably know, Tomcat 8 is
used for integration tests in Syncope 2.0 and is also one of the
suggested deployment options for production:

http://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html#java-ee-container

> AFAIK Syncope 1.2.x is not supported/tested on Tomcat 8, but for me it seems to work.
>
> The only difference I noticed so far is in the class scanning on startup.
> At least in my setup, on Tomcat 8 the ImplementationClassLoader scans all classes in all jar files for implementations of Syncope interfaces. Thus, on startup all classes in the classpath are loaded, leading to slower startup, increased usage of metaspace, and some warnings ("could not link class..." because optional dependencies for some frameworks are not included).
> On Tomcat 7, only the classes in WEB-INF/classes seem to be scanned.

ImplementationClassNamesLoader [1] relies on Spring for performing the
job that you describe above, so probably the Spring version
(4.0.9.RELEASE for 1_2_X) is relevant.

Regards.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/syncope/blob/1_2_X/core/src/main/java/org/apache/syncope/core/init/ImplementationClassNamesLoader.java

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/